VMware Cloud Community
andrewcoburn9
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading VCSA 6.7b to 6.7U3n

I am trying make sure that I update my VCSA server from 6.7b to 6.7U3n in the correct order.  Could someone let me know what updates that I need to download and what order as well so I can upgrade my VCSA server.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rnandula
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

6.7b was released on 28-Jun-2018  and 6.7U3n was released on 25-May-2021.

So I don't think you need to perform any multi-hop updates, you should be able to update directly to 6.7U3n.

In the VAMI are you able to see the latest updates?

0 Kudos
andrewcoburn9
Contributor
Contributor

Sometime last year when I had to upgrade another VCSA from 6.7U2b to 6.7U3k, I had to increment it up a specific order.  I read an article about it but cant seem to find it.  Before I found the article I tried upgrading directly and I got an error, which led me down the path of the article that I found about the specific incremental for the upgrade to be successful, and I had no issues upgrading my VCSA

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

There is a special requirement when doing patch for photon OS patches.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/rn/vcenter-server-appliance-photonos-security-patches....
IMPORTANT: You can update the vCenter Server Appliance with Photon OS patches released within one and the same Update release. Currently, you can patch the appliance with Photon OS patches only if you have updated the vCenter Server Appliance to 6.7 Update 3.
If you try to update the vCenter Server Appliance directly from an unsupported base version of 6.7 to the current Photon OS patch version, by using the vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface, you see a message No applicable update found. This is expected. You must first update the vCenter Server Appliance to version 6.7 Update 3 and then apply the selected Photon OS patch to the appliance.

I would suggest going to 6.7 U3 base version and then patch to 6.7U3n.

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
andrewcoburn9
Contributor
Contributor

Since I am not even at 6.7U1, should I go to 6.7U1, then 6.7U2, then 6.7U3, and of course finally moving on to 6.7U3n?  Or can I go from the version that I am at which is 6.7b to 6.7U3?

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Goto 6.7 U3 and then to 6.7 U3n

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos