VMware Cloud Community
globrien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to 4.1 but now what? (NOT ANSWERED)

Hi

I am upgrading from vCenter 2.5 (update 6) to 4.1.

I used the migration tool to migrate onto a new 64-bit server (different host name and IP address.

The installation/migration seemed to go OK - apart from orchestrator and Update manager were not installed because they were not installed on the original 2.5 vCenter.

The tutorials now say that I am done!

However, when I point my  VMware client to the new vCenter I just see an empty console asking me to get started by creating a datacentre.

Has the migration failed? Do I need to manually add the hosts back to the new vCenter?

I could now swap the IP address with the old vCenter but I don't think that would help!

Any suggestions on what to do next?

thanks

Gordon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Then you have a blank database Smiley Happy. Did you import your old DB to the new server in any of the steps ?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes the migration has failed. during the installation of the vcenter did you select connect to existing database from the ODBC?

0 Kudos
globrien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I selected install a new SQL Express instance

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Then you have a blank database Smiley Happy. Did you import your old DB to the new server in any of the steps ?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
globrien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Isn't that what the migration tool does?

I ran backup.bat on the old vCentre.

Transferred the migration folderv (including Data) to the new server and ran install.bat

The data folder contained the following:

vc_source_orig_db 793Mb in size

vc_upgraded_db     717Mb in size

0 Kudos
globrien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have completely uninstalled vCenter and SQL server from the 4.1 server then re-run the migration tool on both servers.

There are no critical errors in the logs that I can tell, but the inventory is still completely empty.

I have attached the backup and restore logs from the migration. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos