VMware Cloud Community
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade vCenter to 4.1 - SQL questions

Hi guys

I'm looking to upgrade from vCenter 4.0 running on server 2003 R2 with SQL 2005 standard both 32bit, to a brand new server (same hostname, IP etc) running server 2008 R2 64bit with SQL 2008 64bit.

Is there a recommended way or procedure to migrate the SQL 2005 32bit database to SQL 2008 64bit or it is just done using the native SQL backup and restore?

any help would be greatly appreciated as our SQL DB is on holiday for the next 3 weeks Smiley Happy

cheer

Sandy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok i've got it working Smiley Happy

Used native SQL backup on SQL 2005 32bit. Built new W2K8 R2 64bit server installed SQL 2008 64bit SP1 (same hostname IP etc) usied the SQL Management Studio to do a restore of the backup to a new Database of the same name.

Created 64bit ODBC

I have to manually copy the SSL folder from the W2K3 server to the new W2K8 R2 server (locations have changed between OSs....)

Then ran the install, selected use existing DB, pointed it at the system DNS ODBC, it upgraded the DB as part of vCenter install. Automatically reconnected to all my ESX hosts and upgraded the agents. Smiley Happy

now i just need to repeat it in the Live environment Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Arrow1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I do the quite the same to migrate my 4.0U1 (32 bits) to 4.1 (brand new Win2k8 64bits).

(I used a BE2010 backup of the vcenter database)

I use also a backup of the database and well retored it onto the new machine.

All seems to be OK BUT i discovered that some Custom Roles were not here

after!

Have you custom roles in your environment? Did you check them after you have

restored the database on the new machine ?

Regards

Bernard

Regards Bernard
0 Kudos
XavierWu
Contributor
Contributor

Some help for you.

I have migrated the DB from embedded SQL Express to SQL 2008 successfully.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/276413?tstart=0

0 Kudos
Arrow1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks,

I do again a complete migration and custom roles are still missing!

I will try to do a brand new installation win VC4.0 U1 (my current one) on a brand new 32bits machine to see what is the result.

(I tried to look inside the vCenter database but don't found my custom role neither on my original Vcenter!)

Is it possible that this wasn't tested?

Wait and see

Regards

Bernard

Regards Bernard
0 Kudos
Arrow1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I'm glad to tell that all goes well now... the issue was apparently due to the way I worked with SQL express.

Restoring a .bak file seems to be the issue!

Detaching the database then copying the .MDF & .LDF files to the new SQL then attaching it is better!

Regards

Bernard

Regards Bernard
0 Kudos
TCLiven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There -

I know this is a long shot hitting this old post but I am looking to do almost exactly the same thing you did here.  However I will be migrating my SQL 2005 db to a SQL 2008 db on a server with a different name.  Do you know if there is something I need to look out for when going to a different named server?  Thank you.

0 Kudos