VMware Cloud Community
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade vCenter 4 to vCenter 4 Update 1. No instructions, No documentation????

Has anyone done this?

I have scoured all the available documentation on the site and there is nothing; Not a single article or instruction on updating vCentre from Ver4 to Ver4update1.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You can use the release notes as a starting point. From there, you will find references to the ESX and vCenter Server Installation Guide. You can also check the vSphere Upgrade Guide Update 1 and there is good information in kb 1009039.

Basically, you just download the .ISO or .ZIP file and then run setup on vCenter. Backup (at a minimum) your database and SSL certificates first, and then run setup and follow the prompts.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Incorrect!

Usually release notes of minor release will educate you, what are the challenges in minor upgrade.

Here is the upgrade guide of vSphere4 update1.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_upgrade_guide.pdf

KB suggested before is a good one and also you want to take a look at minimum requirements for vc Upgrade....

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Incorrent note is for Dermot

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor

VMRoyal & Geddam, sorry but not very helpful, I can only assume you misunderstood my question.

I am trying to find information on upgrading vCenter version 4 to vCenter version 4 update 1.

None of documents you suggested have any information on this. If they do and I have missed it, then I appolgise. Could you please highlight the page numbers in each of them

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

My bad I missed it. However, can you be more precise, what exactly you are looking for upgrading vcenter4 to vcenter4 u1....Instead of sticking to a point "No documentation"

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

starting around page 39 of the upgrade guide posted above, or also http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009039

It's an easy upgrade, just have a good backup of your DB instance.

0 Kudos
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but I have seen both of these already and they do not contain the information I require;

The KB describes upgrading to Ver. 4 and works from the assumption that your running 2.5

The upgrade guide is the same, it works on the basis of upgrading from 2.5 to 4.

I am already running vCentre 4 and looking for specific instructions to upgrade this to vCentre 4 update 1.

Look, don’t worry about it, the information obviously doesn’t exist online, I have opened a support call already. I will post the official response from VMware.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not to sound too insensitive, but really? Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.0u1 is like running a service pack on your windows box. If it was upgrading from 2.5 to 4.0u1 or 4.0 to 4.0u1 the same basic principles are still the same. Back up your database as Troy said, and run the autorun.exe which will take you through the step by step process.

They don't make a specific document for every version to each newer version of vCenter, because like I said before it is so simular that 99% (and for that 1% they would probably make a note in the documentation for a small change if running version X) of the time the same goes for all versions to upgrade up as long as it is in the upgrade path.

Again sorry if this comes off insensitive, but the correct documentation was presented to you, and I'm pretty sure VMware Support isn't going to say anything different from the documentation that is already online, but at least they can run through the upgrade process with you.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I am trying to find information on upgrading vCenter version 4 to vCenter version 4 update 1.

What's wrong with following the instructions for installing vCenter version 4? Update 1 is just a different build of the SAME product.

0 Kudos
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor

I probably wouldn't disagree with you, however if it was like a service pack then why isn’t U1 available as a patch like for ESX (udpate1 and subsequent replacement 1a) rather then a full install.

But As with any work on the VC, I will follow the advice of backing up the DB.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I probably wouldn't disagree with you, however if it was like a service pack then why isn’t U1 available as a patch like for ESX (udpate1 and subsequent replacement 1a) rather then a full install.

But As with any work on the VC, I will follow the advice of backing up the DB.

What Mr. Hughes is trying to say is that with ANY update or install, regardless of minor build, it's the SAME process. Windows XP SP1, is the SAME as Windows XP SP2. You double click the file and hit "install".

vCenter 4.0 works this way, vCenter 4.0 Update 1 works this way, doesn't matter if its a patch or NOT. The process is STILL the same. It only matters HOW the install get's applied, but for your purpose your starting point is EXACTLY the same.

Run the executable. In any event, vCenter 4.0 or 4.0.1 or 4.0 Update 1 is ALL the same thing, it's just different ways to display the version or build. You could have used the instructions for vCenter 4.0 and ended up with the same result. You wouldn't need SEPARATE instructions for each, it's still the SAME product.

Understand it now?

0 Kudos
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor

For those interested, official response from VMware. The upgrade process from 4 to 4.1 is to install over the top.

However, after doing this, there are 2 facts (which are undocumented) worth noting.

1. The vCentre server will still update the agents on your ESX hosts. Despite the fact that those hosts were previous managed by a version 4 vCentre. Also, doesn’t matter if the ESX hosts are running ESX 4update1, vCentre will still update the ESX host agents.

2. You will have to update your vCentre client. Seems vCentre client Version 4 won’t work with 4update1, there is VPX client version difference 4.0.0.7797 to 4.0.0.10021.

Hope this information help anyone in the same position as I have seen others posting the same observation.

0 Kudos