VMware Cloud Community
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to vCenter Update 4

When trying to run the U4, I get an error saying:

"One or more of the scheduled jobs in the SQL Server Agent is owned by a non-VC user. Make sure these jobs are deleted before proceding with the Virtual Center Uprade." And then it references http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003610 step #3.

But my issue is that the owner of these jobs in SQL is in fact a VC Admin user. So any idea of why the upgrade is still complaining? I can't get past the error without deleting the jobs...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure I understand the question since the KB instructs you what to do in this situation.

Make sure you also have DBO permission on the MSDB as well

0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

The error occurs because VC thinks a non-VC user owns the SQL jobs, which is not true. The VC domain service account owns the jobs in SQL Agent and has admin level permissions in VC. So the error appears to be inacurate. The question is why does that happen? I know i can delete the jobs. I'm trying to find a way around having to do that every time I update Virtual Center.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

.....and dbo are present on the MSDB and the VCDB instance?

0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, correct. I wound up having to call VMware support on another issue and mentioned this little feature. The tech didn't have an answer and said he'd do some research for me. Haven't heard anything back yet.

0 Kudos