VMware Cloud Community
pudokad
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to vCenter 5.1 new DB

Hello,

I need to upgrade my vCenter 5.0 to 5.1 but I would like to install 5.1 on new hardware and a new database.  In doing that I need to move all of my existing hosts from my 5.0 vCenter to my new 5.1 vCenter.  Can anyone give me some detail on how to migrate all of my VMs, networking, security etc. from my 5.0 vCenter to a newly installed (new Database) vCenter 5.1 instance?

I'll be glad to provide more information if that would help.

Thanks for any help,

Dean

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Marc71
Contributor
Contributor

As soon as you attach the existing ESXi host to the new vcenter all Host specific settings will be moved as well. Meaning your VM's will be "migrated". Network settings (vswitch config of standard switch will be migrated). What you need to do is copy all your VCenter Security settings if any, distributed switch settings, and Cluster settings.

Regards

Marc

0 Kudos
pudokad
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your answer.  It will help me in my upgrade.  A couple more questions.  Are resource pools on the host or vCenter side?  Will they move over to the new vCenter when I attach the host or will I have to re-create them?   Also, will I have to manually enter my license keys from the old vCenter instance into the new vCenter and attach them to the hosts that I attach?

Thanks,

Dean

0 Kudos