VMware Cloud Community
hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgrade to VC 2.5u2 fails "The wizard was interrupted before VMware Infrastructure Management could be completely installed"

I have an existing VC 2.5 (build 84767) running, which I'm trying to upgrade to 2.5u2 (build 104263). The database is running on a remote SQL Server 2005 Standard.

• I start autorun.exe from the installation files, choose to upgrade all components (VI Client, VC Server, UM, Conv. Enterprise),

• Then I choose "Use an existing database server", and my DSN is already correctly typed "VMware VirtualCenter" (which points to the remote SQL Server). I type the password for the SQL account, and press next.

• The installer informs me that that repository is an older version and will be upgraded. I press ok. I check that the SQL Server Agent is running on the SQL Server.

• I choose to use an existing license server, and accept 27000@localhost as the host.

• I accept the ports listed.

• I enter administrative credentials for the component upgrades.

When I press Next here, I get the error message: "The wizard was interrupted before VMware Infrastructure Management could be completely installed"

The temp file "vminst.log" has some more info:

---

VMware VirtualCenter-build-104263: 09/26/08 14:44:34 --- CA exec: VMCheckMsde

VMware VirtualCenter-build-104263: 09/26/08 14:44:34 Setting property MSDE_INSTALLED =

VMware VirtualCenter-build-104263: 09/26/08 14:44:34 Getting Property MSDE_INSTANCE = SQLEXP_VIM

VMware VirtualCenter-build-104263: 09/26/08 14:44:34 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\InstalledInstances' value not found.

VMware VirtualCenter-build-104263: 09/26/08 14:44:34 There is no supported MS SQL server installed.

VMware VirtualCenter-build-104263: 09/26/08 14:44:34 End Logging

---

Why would it care if I have a MSDE or not? I already pointed out the ODBC DNS to use, and it is residing on a remote SQL 2005 server.

Also, the temp file "vim-all-msi.log" has some info:

---

Action start 15:27:17: VM_CheckUMDbSchema.

MSI (c) (F0:94) : Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\DOCUME1\anol\LOCALS1\Temp\2\MSI5D.tmp, Entrypoint: VMCheckUMDbSchema

Action ended 15:27:17: VM_CheckUMDbSchema. Return value 3.

Info 2896.Executing action VM_CheckUMDbSchema failed.

Action ended 15:27:17: InstallWelcome. Return value 3.

MSI (c) (F0:98) : Doing action: SetupCompleteError

Action 15:27:17: SetupCompleteError.

Action start 15:27:17: SetupCompleteError.

Action 15:27:17: SetupCompleteError. Dialog created

---

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

/Anders

Added info to clarify that the existing DB is a remote SQL 2005.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
15 Replies
mblunier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lieber Mailsender

Vielen Dank für Ihre e-Mail. Ich bin bis am Monitag, 3.11. ausser Haus. Ihre Nachricht wird nicht weitergeleitet.

In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich bitte an die Zentrale: +41 32 344 86 00. Diese wird Sie mit einer zuständigen Ansprechperson verbinden.

Freundliche Grüsse

Markus Blunier

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

MSDE is no longer supported for VC 2.5, you must have at least SQL Express and that is only recommended in a test enviornment. If you can, going to SQL 2005 would be the preffered path.

0 Kudos
hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sorry, I was unclear on what DB I actually use. Now I added info in the original thread about the remote SQL 2005 Std. server being used.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...and you upgraded your ODBC driver to use the SQL Native Driver and then tested your connection?

0 Kudos
hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, the DB connection works well. I'm running VC on it today. I also did a test of the ODBC DSN connection, and it came out successful.

I guess I shouldn't need to do any changes to this, since it's only a minor upgrade?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you are using a SQL 2005 DB, you HAVE to have a SQL Native Driver for ODBC. Also, for the upgrade you need to have elevated permissions http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003052 .

Your ODBC connection is pointing to the SQL 2005 instance? From the message it appears to still be trying to connect to the MSDB

hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, the DB connection works well. I'm running VC on it today. I also did a test of the ODBC DSN connection, and it came out successful.

I will check the DB permissions, and retry the upgrade if the db_owner permission is missing. Will get back to you with the results as soon as I get them from my customer.

EDITED: Yes, the SQL account used does have db_owner permissions on the VC database.

0 Kudos
bovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This did it for me:

BR.

Rasmus

0 Kudos
hennish
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That did it. Thanks a lot!

The bad thing is that the error message in the article wasn't the one I got. I have sent feedback on the article now.

0 Kudos
ddawson100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very helpful article. I actually went to install vCenter 2.5 over an eval of VMWare Virtual Center and got this error. Based on the link above I took a chance and assumed that Update Manager was causing the problem which was causing the install process to fail. I tried copying the DLL but there was already one there (a different version) so I renamed the older one and copied the DLL. I started the install again but it still failed. I started it one more time and this time unchecked Update Manager and it's installing now. I'll try to install Update Manager seperately when this is done.

David Dawson

Systems Engineer

Community IT Innovators

0 Kudos
Justen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We installed Update manager seperately initially. The above solution worked for me also, deselecting it during the install.

Thanks!

Charlie

0 Kudos
bobmclane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also had the same issue and above fixed it....How did you manage to upgrade Update Manager afterwards?

0 Kudos
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

same question, I unselected VUM and the upgrade went no worries, but when I try to run it again just to upgrade VUM, same issue... I thinking of uninstall VUM and reinstall it...

0 Kudos
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi guys, this KB fixed for me, I unselected VUM when doign VC upgrade to get around it, but I guess if I did what the KB suggested, it would have gone alright.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101054...

0 Kudos