VMware Cloud Community
moonster_34
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade options for vCenter Server foundation

Hi

I'm just starting out in ESX land and have been using the VI3 evaluation license to try out Virtual centre controlled ESX servers. I'm now looking to purchase VI3 software but am finding the bundled deals confusing.

I want to initially take advantage of the VMI Foundation accelerator kit, so that I can set up 3 ESX servers and control them via vCenter. But I can't find an easy explanation on VMs site , as to what I'd need to do when I want to add a 4th ESX server. I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade to full vCenter, plus pay for an ESX foundation license, then add ESX licenses every time I added a new ESX server.

Has anyone been down this route before ?

cheers, Moonster

0 Kudos
1 Reply
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Moonster, you're correct about the licensing requirements. To manage a fourth host, you'd need to switch your vCenter license to a full license, which would cost you approximately the difference between the cost of a full license and the Foundation license. That would "unlock" vCenter to allow it to manage more than three hosts. You'd then add ESX host licenses as needed.

Hope that helps! Please help me out by marking my response as "helpful" or "correct" if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit