VMware Cloud Community
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from U3 to VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U4-English fails

When i want to upgrade from from U3 to VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U4-English it fails with the following see att 1 - 3

VC = windows 2003 sp2

DB = seperate sql 2005 enterprise 64 bits server

error1 windows installer Another version of this product is already installed

error2 25036 VMware VirtualCenter could not be installed

It is logical that another version of virtual center is installed ! it said upgrade so ?

and it says that i have to uninstall virtual center ?

Well i upgraded virtual center in the past before and never got this message... ?

anyone ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
12 Replies
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

and here are my logfiles of the installation...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

mabye this KB will be helpful?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003890

dm330
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the helpful links there is a lot of information there...

hope i find something...

0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

Well i checked if the users that connect to the virtualcenter and updatemanager sql databases has db_owner and it does.

I added the db_owner role for the virtualcenter user to the msdb database, but i still get the same errors stated as before Smiley Sad

i downloaded the VIM dvd iso and ran that setup autorun.exe file but i get the same result there.

further i cannot see any error in the logfiles located in the %temp% directory (which are also added to this post.) which leads to something.

I also made a snapshot of the VC server and then uninstalled vmware vi client, vmware converter, capacity planner andupdate manager and then

executed the autorun.exe installer but i get the same error stating that virtual center is allready installed and needs to be uninstalled...

??? i'am upgrading so that message is very weird ???

0 Kudos
ThomasBoDa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same problem when upgrading from u2 -> u3. Tried evrything you did (uninstall other components etc), didn't find any useful info so I ended up uninstalling, and then installing vcenter u3.

Not TO much work, just remember to backup the db, and keep the settings. But it's of course annoying.

Gonna do the same upgrade soon, so hoping for some other posts. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Performing an upgrade nearly always results in some sort of error, its the same with upgrading ESX servers. I always perform a clean install, its saves a lot of time in the long run.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi - check to see what build you are at when you get that error. I received that error at the end of the installation of the upgrade and then tried running it again to get the error that it was already installed. I checked the build number and noticed that it was already at 147633 so the upgrade was successful. During the upgrade, I upgraded everything except Update Manager. I did this separately as Update Manager always causes problems during the upgrade.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I checked my build number and it states build 119801

Checked the sql server and it has enough disk space and unlimited growth just for the upgrade.

If i only upgrade VC it gives me the same error.

To uninstall everthing is a bridge to far for me i think Vmware should build better upgrades or advice to reinstall with every new version and not make it available at all :smileyangry:

If i cannot fix the problem in a couple of days i put in a support request... :_|

0 Kudos
Marke50
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

This is more for discussion than a fix for this problem but I was considering updating as well until I read this thread.

I read over the instructions and to me the upgrade instructions we not a considerable amount of help, am I the only one that thinks this?

I am open for any more information that regards this upgrade.

thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

I just created a support request and hope to have an answer soon of how to upgrade... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
asdvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Good, because I am stuck on one of my VCs with the same darn problem. Why the crap can't they make it so VC actually updates? I am sick of doing fresh installs...

Nat

0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

Well i have opened a case for a while now but vmware investigated ans says that i have to Uninstall VIM 2.5 U3 en Install VIM 2.5 U4 :_|

Well oke, going for that solution now but i am not happy with it...

0 Kudos