VMware Cloud Community
Process153
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5 ---- New host > 6.5 then upgrade the originals?

Hello,

In theory, would it be efficient to follow this upgrade path?

1) New host configured to 6.5 with embedded PSC and Vcenter as an appliance.

2) Migrate VM's from server 1 from cluster 1 to the new host.  Upgrade server 1 to 6.5. Test. Migrate VM's back from the new host to server 1.

3) repeat for each host (4 in the cluster).

I've been reading this guide which may help others Smiley Happy  vSphere upgrade: in-place or fresh install? | Settlersoman - A settler in the SDDC world.

Trying to keep this simple!  Appreciate any thoughts.

7 Replies
Process153
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this best describes where I would like to aim for.

• 1 Single Sign-On domain 
  • 1 Single Sign-On site 
  • 1 external Platform Services Controllers 
  • 1 or more vCenter Server with external Platform Services Controllers

Plan is to add another PSC in the DR site.

0 Kudos
Process153
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also meant to ask...... Will Vcenterserver 6.5 run on an ESXi host that is running ESXi 5.5?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

0 Kudos
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>>Will Vcenterserver 6.5 run on an ESXi host that is running ESXi 5.5?

Yes this is supported.

Process153
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you!

0 Kudos
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can look into the compatibility guide here for more on the supportability

VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

0 Kudos
tridibgoswami
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes you can add another PSC to the same site or to a different site (multi site configuration). If I guess correctly you want to add it to the same site.

It will be better if you create a separate thread about this query as the original post question (Upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5 ---- New host > 6.5 then upgrade the originals) was different from this one.

Process153
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comment tridibgoswani !  I kind of already do have another thread that addresses this but I am trying to gather my thoughts in one place Smiley Happy  Apologies!  I will try to keep everything concise.   At the moment we have 2 sites each with their own cluster. Prod and DR.  Plan so far is not to change that but instead, bring some added resilience by adding a PSC in the DR site as well as the PSC that will be hosted in the Prod site.  From reading, I know I have to have an embedded PSC and an external PSC as they will not sync otherwise.  I'm really just gathering facts at the mo!

Regards

0 Kudos