VMware Cloud Community
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Virtual Machine Hardware

Virtual Center 2.5 Update 4

So I've seen lots of suggestions to upgrade the virutal machine hardware, but I've yet to figure out how to do it. I'm told you have to have the VM powere off, then you right click and choose "upgrade hardware." But no such option exists. Wether the VM is powered on or off, the only option i have is " Install/Upgrade VMware Tools" (which I've done many times.) However, I don't think this is the same thing as upgrading the VM's hardware.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SkyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use VUM, go to the view, home -> inventory -> VMs and Templates, and the Update Manager tab (assuming you have the plug-in installed). There is a baseline called VM Hardware Upgrade to Match Host that you can attach to the VM's that you want to upgrade. Scan the VM's against this baseline, then remediate to update the hardware.

Just re-read your post and the version you are using. This is for vSphere 4.0, I believe that is what you version you are reading about for updating the hardware.

0 Kudos
probie
Contributor
Contributor

The upgrade of virtual machine hardware is only available with major upgrades of your esx hosts.

0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

I have no such baseline. My only options are "Critical virtual machine updates" and "non-critical virtual machine updates." If i createa new baseline, all i have are software options.

0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

So are you saying the context menu would only appear if happen to come across a VM that had hardware from an older version of ESX? And that otherswise, the contxt menu option would not even appear?

0 Kudos
rcustersp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The menu will only appear if you upgrade to a newer version of ESX where upgraded hardware is needed, like vSphere 4.

0 Kudos