VMware Cloud Community
patrickf3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade VC 2.5u1 to 2.5u2

Can someone explain the process to upgrade from 2.5u1 to 2.5u2? I have downloaded the newest "VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-104263.zip" and what I am confused with is why it needs to update my database? I figured the database would only need changed from 2.0 to 2.5...ect. I have read all the documents on upgrading, but am still confused on how to do it properly.

Thanks!

Patrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, I'm not sure what the database changes are..... but they necessary.

There were a number of bugs etc in VC 2.5 U2, s my advice would be to upgrade to VC 2.5 Update 3.

Simply backup the VC database, run the setup and follow the wizards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, I'm not sure what the database changes are..... but they necessary.

There were a number of bugs etc in VC 2.5 U2, s my advice would be to upgrade to VC 2.5 Update 3.

Simply backup the VC database, run the setup and follow the wizards.

0 Kudos
patrickf3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay great! I will upgrade to u3. As for the ESX hosts, using the Update Manager is sufficent I assume?

Thanks!

Patrick

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes VUM can update your hosts, however my preference is to rebuild them so they are clean. It comes down to how your environment is setup and whether you have the luxury to do this or not.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

How big is your ESX environment and what versions? If you thinking to massively update your ESX hosts and VC server I would suggest plan it out nicely. You always want to make sure you backup the VC database incase you have to revert back. VUM is a great patch managements and it works really nice for ESX hosts, Linux and Windows guests as well, but majority of us not using VUM for the guests, strictly for ESX hosts. The other guest management can be utilize WSUS or SMS 2007.

As mentioned, if you want a clean ESX hosts, always do a clean install it only takes about 7 minutes for each hosts and if you have a lot to deploy, using Universal Deployment Appliance or kickstart installation would be perfect all settings are the same across hosts. Good luck to your upgrades, U3 is pretty decent now so go straight for it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
patrickf3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a 3 host ESX system with 32gb and dual quad core CPU's on each host so I have plenty of space to move stuff around and isolate a host to upgrade without any downtime. Thank you all for your help I appreceiate it greatly.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Oh that's nice, if you already have VMotion and HA clustered, just migrate all the VM to standy hosts, and install ESX from scratch but make sure to upgrade your VC 2.5 U3 first and follow the same steps to all ESX hosts.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos