VMware Cloud Community
SkyDiver79
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade VC 2.5 Update1 to 2.5 Update 2 - UpdateManager

Hello,

i have upgrade my VC 2.5U1 to 2.5U2, it works fine because the Update Manager. When i upgrade the UpdateManager come a Popup with "Please insert Disk 1". I can only cancel the Update.

I would upgrade from the Downloaded ISO File.

Falk

0 Kudos
22 Replies
shaneyoder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am experiencing the same issue. All the other components upgraded fine. I'll post if I find a solution.

Shane

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Same here (error upgrade 1), when I press cancel it still asks for the CD still if I do a manual install

when you press cancel you get the error (error upgrade 2)

0 Kudos
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing the same issue. I continued to run the upgrade and it finishes without the update manager.

If you re-run the upgrade again, it does detect the update manager requiring an upgrade but it still fails to update with the

same looking for Disc 1 error.

-dhayashi

0 Kudos
shaneyoder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I uninstalled all the VMware products and then did a clean install (I left the DB intact) and had no issues with the install.

I did have an issue of the Virtual Center Server service not starting after a reboot. If I stop the Converter service it then started fine.

I'm not sure what that's all about.

0 Kudos
microfoundry
Contributor
Contributor

Mine too failed on the upgrade after a reboot I:

• copied the updateManager directory to the C drive of my VI server

• renamed it to Disk1

• executed the VMware-UpdateManager.exe

from there and it ran fine...

Terry

0 Kudos
TheEsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Greetings all

Download the zip file and run the update manager from that , worked fine for me after I did that.

Looks like there's a bug in your cd iso Vmware guys

0 Kudos
testqa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

has anyone tried using the executable from KB 1001900 (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1001900) prior to upgrade?

admin
Immortal
Immortal

The patch has not worked for me I'll try the zip file

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I used the zip and it installed but why is the build version of VC different than that of the ISO and ZIP

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can see from the release notes that the build of the installer is different than the build number of its contents. This can be confusing, but it is laid out explicitly in that document.

VMware ESX Server 3.5 Update 2 | 25 JUL 2008 | Build 103908

VMware Infrastructure Management Installer | 25 JUL 2008 | Build 104263 (English Only Build)

VirtualCenter 2.5 Server Update 2 | 25 JUL 2008 | Build 104215

Virtual Infrastructure Client | 25 JUL 2008 | Build 104215

VMware Infrastructure Management Installer | 25 JUL 2008 | Build 104265

VirtualCenter Server 2.5 Update 2 | 25 July 2008 | Build 104217

Virtual Infrastructure Client | 25 July 2008 | Build 104249

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Once you use the Zip file to update, you must continue to use the Zip file to update.

0 Kudos
mokotoe21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Would you mind posting the log bundle or sending it to me directly via PM so we can investigate this further?

You can go to "Start > Programs > VMware > Generate VirtualCenter Server log bundle" to generate the zipped log file.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
claxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I definitely believe there is a bug on the iso. I did as mentioned before, copied the updateManager folder on the iso to C:\Temp\Disk1 of the virtual center and ran VMware-UpdateManager.exe and had no issues with the installation. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
lle-prieur
Contributor
Contributor

SOLVED WITH ISO

The path of Vmware Update Manager.msi is bad in the registry of Installer

Launch regedit and search the key for Vmware Update Manager in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

For my server HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6245B8E14303D664887EE5C5923C7DDD\*SourceList*

Modify the key LastUsedSource = m;1;E:\vci\ by ù;1;E:\updateManager\ (E:\ is the letter of DVD DRIVE)

And modify the key MediaPackage in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6245B8E14303D664887EE5C5923C7DDD\SourceList\*Media*

Launch the install by Exec Auto or Autorun.exe and the install is a success ...

Laurent LE PRIEUR

Vice-Rectorat de Mayotte

Education Nationale

Mayotte Island / Indian Ocean

France

0 Kudos
J-H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!

The registry hacked solved the problem.

0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had this problem when i was trying to do it from a disk/ iso image loader. I found that the registry fix never worked, neither did vmwares little program to fix it for v2. so what i did was copy the updatemanager folder from the disk to local machine and install, it worked fine!

0 Kudos
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I copied the CD files to the local machine - renamed the folder as 'Disk1' and ran the local executable as described earlier in the thread. Worked for me.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

Registry change didn't work for me either. Never tried the local copy workaround, but it makes sense. It seems every new release brings a different "challenge" to upgraders...

Dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
arthurvino1
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely a bug in the ISO, asked for that update disk1.

I continued the install without Update manager, tried to installed update manager from .exe directly - looked ok, but when launching VC Client - get an error.

Will call VM to fix.

0 Kudos