VMware Cloud Community
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgrade Process - LB ext PSCs and vCenter at v6.5 move to embedded 6.7u3x??

Hi folks,

I've been planning the upgrade of one of our 10 vCenters which has a bit of a unique conifguration but it is a supported configuration from VMware. I'm not finding any examples of upgrading all pieces so hoping for some insight.

Existing Config:

• 2 load balanced External PSC's behind an F5. Both are VCSA's at 6.5 build 9451637
  • LB DNS namespace rather than a computer name
    • This is part of the process of incorporating the LB since you can't refer directly to computer name as is the case with Active/passive PSC's.
  • 1 vCenter VCSA 6.5 build 9451637

Upgrade to Config:

• 1 VCSA with embedded PSC services at 6.7 build 15132721 (U3B)
  • No more LB with F5

Seems simple enough but I don't know how to deal with the load balancer piece during upgrade and it the LB DNS namespace needs to be "imported" into the embedded PSC configurtion.

Any insights appreciated!

Ron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Yup I noticed that, but maybe is it possible to do upgrade first then change the arquitecture. Have you consider that?

That is strange to me. I started to look for some official document becouse this is something that I will have to do in a customer's platform in a few weeks and I wans't able to find anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hi Ron,

I've followed this in the past, maybe you can find it usefull

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/converge-and-decommission-external-platform-service-controller...

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Nicolas

Thank you very much for the reply I will look into that article. I find it strange that VMware doesn't have any KB's or blogs specific to this configuration.

Ron

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Turns out this was a process to converge 6.7 external PSC's to 6.7 embedded. I'm starting at 6.5 so I don't have the same process. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Yup I noticed that, but maybe is it possible to do upgrade first then change the arquitecture. Have you consider that?

That is strange to me. I started to look for some official document becouse this is something that I will have to do in a customer's platform in a few weeks and I wans't able to find anything.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think you are right on Nicolas. I guess I was hoping for one fell swoop so to speak but it looks like a two hop upgrade. Thanks again.

0 Kudos