VMware Cloud Community
VmwareRunner
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5, problem on a LUN

Hello,

I must to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to version 6.5, but during the upgrade I have this probem, how to upgrade my ESXi and preserving my VMFS datastore ?

If I detach the LUN, the upgrade will be succeded or it will generates a problem because data will be missing ?

ESXi64 (2).PNG

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

What is the VMFS version? Is the storage supported for 6.5 ?

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004575

Sometimes, an existing VMFS datastore cannot be preserved. In this case, you can choose to proceed (which overwrites the existing VMFS datastore) or to cancel the installation. Ensure that any virtual machines located on the VMFS that are on the datastore are backed up or migrated.

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
VmwareRunner
Contributor
Contributor

The VMFS version is VMFS5.

How can I know if the storage is supported for version 6.5 ? There isn't the possibility to upgrade without overwritting ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to help, it's importamnt to know something about the environment.

Where (on which LUN) is ESXi currently installed?
Does ESXi 6.5 support the storage controller with the installation disk/LUN?

For me it looks like you are using an installation image that doesn't include drivers for the controller. If I see it correctly in the screenshot local disk shows (none).

André

VmwareRunner
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed, the ESXi contains “Legacy MBR” and “VMware Diagnostic” partition on only 1 datastore, it's the one which have the less space, but why VMware select the 2 datastores by default ? The 2 datastores aren't both emplacements where ESXi is installed ? I thought VMware detected automatically where ESXi is installed

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide the text output of ls -alh /vmfs/devices/disks to see how the volumes/partitions looks like.
What hardware (the disk/RAID controller on which ESXi is installed) is in use?
Can you confirm that you are using an ESXi installation image that contains the disk/RAID controller driver, ei.e. a vendor customized image (if available).

André

0 Kudos