VMware Cloud Community
Goose_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 to update 1 which one first?

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be upgrading my ESX enviroment from 3.5 and VC 2.5 to update 1 but cannot find any information regarding how this can be achieved and which update I have to do first. As I dont have a test lab I really would like to get this correct first time could someone please give me some advice to the way to do this?

Thank you

Goose

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In order to manage both ESX 3.0.2/3.5 environment, you MUST upgrade your VC server to 2.5 first backup your vc database and than run the upgrade procedure and than download latest VI Client and connect to the newly upgraded VC 2.5 server than you should befine. If you're planning to use Update Manager, than make sure to create enough disk space for your Update Manager database as well.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As a rule of thumb the VC management server usually is the 1st to get upgraded. Then all the ESX hosts after that.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In order to manage both ESX 3.0.2/3.5 environment, you MUST upgrade your VC server to 2.5 first backup your vc database and than run the upgrade procedure and than download latest VI Client and connect to the newly upgraded VC 2.5 server than you should befine. If you're planning to use Update Manager, than make sure to create enough disk space for your Update Manager database as well.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos