VMware Cloud Community
JaxIsland75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Updating hosts that have vCenter on them

I have one vCenter with 2 Hosts that run ESXi v4. I want to install the updates but in order to do that I have to shutdown the guest machines and go into maintenance mode. Well the 2 hosts run the sql server and vcenter server so when I shut them off I cant connnect and therefore cannot upgrade the machines. I thought there was a standalone product that I could use to update the servers or some offline update. My question is how can I update the ESXi servers if I have to shut off my vCenter and SQL server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From your question I assume you have local storage only, i.e.no shared storage to migrate the vCenter Server from one host to the other. In this case you need to update the hosts manually. If you are using ESXi 4.0 you can use the "Host Update Utility" which is optionally installed with the vSphere Client. In case of ESXi 4.1 you need to use the vihostupdate command line utility.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Update first virtual center. This will solve all problem.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
JaxIsland75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you explain a little further so I understand? What are the steps to update?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you could always use VUM.  You just need to do one host at a time.  Ensure you vCenter and SQL VM are on the Host that you are not updating.  Remediate 1 Host at a time.

JaxIsland75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VUM? I am not familiar.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://www.vmware.com/products/update-manager/overview.html

It comes bundled into the vCenter media.  You can install it on your vCenter Host OS (you could use the SQL Bundled DB). Then you can automate the patching process.  Otherwise you'll have to do it manually.

Below is a good how to

http://communities.vmware.com/people/vmroyale/blog/2010/12/27/single-use-vihostupdate-how-to-for-esx...

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From your question I assume you have local storage only, i.e.no shared storage to migrate the vCenter Server from one host to the other. In this case you need to update the hosts manually. If you are using ESXi 4.0 you can use the "Host Update Utility" which is optionally installed with the vSphere Client. In case of ESXi 4.1 you need to use the vihostupdate command line utility.

André

0 Kudos
JaxIsland75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are correct, local storage so the above post has the link on how to with the command line I will give it a shot. Thanks everyone for your help!

0 Kudos