VMware Cloud Community
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Updating Virtual Center 2.5

I'm about to set off on a new project to update our esx nodes.... but first id like to get our VirtualCenter server up to U4.. Are there any "minimum" host patch level requirements piror to U4 on VirtualCenter?

Or any issues you guys have had with different rev/patch levels that i should be aware of during this process? Not a massive update, but i have around 25 hosts or so to get done.....

Thanks

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter 2.5.x can manage 3.0.x hosts all the way to 3.5.0U4 hosts, so there is no specific patch level you must to be at on your ESX Hosts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for your vCenter upgrade to U4, it's pretty straight forward and the same principles apply as any other update. There is a schema upgrade on your DB, so you should get a full backup before you start.

If you are going from 2.0.x just note this KB

Administrative Credentials Are Required for Oracle and SQL Server Databases When Installing or Upgra...

Also, if you are going to be installing the performance overview plugin, just be aware of a couple of KBs

Installing the Performance Overview Plug-In in VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 4

Performance Overview charts might fail to display if VirtualCenter is upgraded without stopping the ...

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.. but my question was more focused at the esx nodes "hosts" themselfs... I havent found any "patch level requirements" before i update to U4 on vcenter.. just double checking with the community.

-

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter 2.5.x can manage 3.0.x hosts all the way to 3.5.0U4 hosts, so there is no specific patch level you must to be at on your ESX Hosts.

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Cool -

I've always updated VC first.. then the nodes... I've seen issues where the esx nodes were at U4 and the VC server (2.5 say U1) caused issues...

Thanks again,

-

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>

I've always updated VC first.. then the nodes... I've seen issues where the esx nodes were at U4 and the VC server (2.5 say U1) caused issues...

I agree, your vCenter instance should always be at or higher than your ESX builds.

0 Kudos