VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update manager scenario questions

I need some advice in setting up vmware update manager.

We are currently running virtual centre V4 update 2, and have many esx servers running version 4 update 2 as well.  We have update manager setup on this virtual centre which has version 4.0.0.5332.

We have now setup a new virtual centre which is the latest 4.1 version. 

My next step as part of the upgrade is to upgrade our esx hosts to 4.1 and add them to the new virtual centre 4.1.

SO from my understanding my current update manager 4.0 will not be able to upgrade the esx 4.0 hosts to 4.1, so i will need to install a new update manger which is version 4.1.  Is that correct.  Also I am planning on installing update manager on a separate machine now but use the same remote database server as the virtual centre 4.1.

So what i would need to do is move the esx 4.0 hosts from vcentre 4.0 to vcentre 4.1, then install update manager 4.1 on a separate machine, and register this new update manager with virtual centre 4.1 , and then use it to upgrade the esx 4.0 hosts to 4.1.  Is this the correct procedure.

The other question is can i use update manager 4.1 to upgrade from esx 4.0 hosts to esxi4.1, is there a baseline to do this.

Any advise on the couple of above questions I have.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

to move the hosts from one vCenter to the next, simply disconnect/remove then add host into the new environment.  As for the install of VUM, mount the vCenter  media, install VUM, using the existing DB (32bit ODBC connection).  Once complete set your upgrade/patch baseline and remediate the hosts.

0 Kudos
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any advice on the other questions, like which version of update manager I need, and can it be used to upgrade from esx v4.0 to esxi 4.1.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you will need the VUM that is bundled into the vCenter Install media.  So, whatever version of vCenter you choose to run, you will need to install the same version of VUM.  The most current is 4.1 U1

0 Kudos