VMware Cloud Community
ESX_3_5
Contributor
Contributor

Update manager not working in ESX 3.5 with VC 2.5

I am getting the following error while doing patch upgrade using update manager; I have spoke to our firewall team they asked me to use 443 instead of 80 because its unsecured.

Please advice.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ESX_3_5
Contributor
Contributor

attaching the error

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Um.. It's a patching program. I don't think secure socket is required just for patching. It doesn't do anything except allow the VC to talk to the update manager server and copy files to the ESX server.

Did you install the UDMS and UDMC (Server and Client). You need a separate server for the client, away from the VC. I can't see the errors, can you post them again?

0 Kudos
ESX_3_5
Contributor
Contributor

Attaching again

0 Kudos
dmn0211
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is probably workaround #2 the esxcfg-firewall

Try these helpful workarounds

Update Manager fails to scan an ESX Server for updates when using non-default Web Services HTTP port

This error occurs if the web service HTTP port in VirtualCenter is not set to the default port (the default port is 80).

Perform one of the following workarounds based on your situation.

Workaround 1

VMware Update Manager automatically opens firewall ports 9000-9100 on ESX Server 3.5 during scan or remediation. If port 80 cannot be used as the web service HTTP port, use a port in the range of 9000-9100:

Click VirtualCenter Server Management Server Configuration.

Click Web Service.

Change the HTTP port to a new value, within the 9000-9100 range.

Click OK and restart VirtualCenter Server service.

Restart the Update Manager service.

Log in to Virtual Infrastructure Client after both VirtualCenter and Update Manager services have been restarted,

Disable the Update Manager Plug-in in the Virtual Infrastructure Client and re-enable it.

Workaround 2

If port range 9000-9100 cannot be used as web service HTTP port in VirtualCenter:

Enable the custom VirtualCenter web service HTTP ports in the ESX Server's firewall by entering the following command in the service console:

esxcfg-firewall --openport ####,tcp,out,dynamicupdates

Note: #### is the custom port being used by VirtualCenter.

You can check the custom port by logging into VirtualCenter and clicking Administration Menu > VirtualCenter Management Server Configuration > Web Service.

Restart the Update Manager service.

Log off and log in to VirtualCenter using the Virtual Infrastructure Client.

Disable and re-enable the Update Manager plug-in.

If the problem still exsists try reading through the attached document.

Message was edited by: dmn0211

0 Kudos