VMware Cloud Community
scarpozzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Plugin Not working...ESX 3.5 Update1 with VC 2.5

I Upgraded to 3.5 Update 1 and then updated my VC server to 2.5. I installed the Update Manager Client in Virtual Center. Everything was working fine, though I was on Update1 so I didn't have any updates to apply. I checked the system last week and realized there was no longer an Update tab visible.

In the plugin manager, the Update Manager Client is installed, but not enabled. If I attempt to enable it, I get this message: "Error: The request failed because the server name could not be resolved"

I have DNS configured for every server component in ESX. What server name could it be referring to?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue and reinstalling the Update Manager client seemed to fix it. The update to VC 2.5 really caused some issues for me.

Z-Bone

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check to make sure the Update Manager service is running on your VC server. Also, take a look at the vci_integrity.xml file and make sure that all of the paths for Update Manager are correct.

-Jon-

VMware Certified Professional

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
scarpozzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Update service is running on the VC server. Restarting it doesn't seem to fix the issue.

There were two links in the vci_integrity.xml file. One was localhost of the VC server and the other was

I went to that link on the VC server and got a redirect to another page that wouldn't load. It looks like I get an internal error when I go to that site from my workstation PC. Can someone else check to see if their <PatchMetaDownloadUrl> link matches mine?

0 Kudos
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue and reinstalling the Update Manager client seemed to fix it. The update to VC 2.5 really caused some issues for me.

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That is the correct path for the Pull Meta Download. You want to look at the other paths to make sure they are set at the proper directory for where to store the updates and metadata(on your local server) and make sure that the name of your VC server is specified properly. I ran into problems when I put Update 1 on VC 2.5. For some reason it reset the path to the updates/metadata to default, rather than the spot it was originally configured for.

-Jon-

0 Kudos
rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, this may sound like a silly question... but....

You installed the Update Manager on your VC, but are you currently on the VC, or are you on a remote client talking to the VC?

Reason I ask, is ... well... I did this, and couldnt figure out what happend to my update button/tab. Once I TS to the VC itself, it was there, figured out, I had to install the plugin on my VC client as well.

Just a thought....

R

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I believe, though I am not 100% on this, that the Update Manager application(service) runs on the VC. However, when you launch the VIC on different desktops, you need to install the client portion, which talks to the service running on the VC.

-Jon-

rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jon, .... yes... exaclty what I found.

Rob

0 Kudos
scarpozzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The plugin is installed on both, though the Update Manager service is only on the VC server. Neither client installation is showing the Updates tab. I still get the error message I posted originally when I try to enable the Update client on my workstation.

I totally uninstalled my VMware client and reinstalled it. That seemed to fix whatever was going on with it.

Thanks for all the responses.

-Ryan

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you able to restart the Update Manager service without any problems?

-Jon-

0 Kudos
mjmapp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sure you have solved this issue, but I thought I'd post to share what worked for me, as I had the same problem on version 3.5 update 3

I turned out for me that the DNS suffix on the Virtual Centre Server was non-existant. Have no idea how this happened as it should automatically get added when you join a host to the domain.

Either way, after correcting the DNS Suffix (My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name -> Change -> More) then it picked up the Update Manager no problem.

Wierd, but this fixed the probelm. I think it must have been looking for the VC machine name, but not adding the DNS suffix and hence not finding it.

Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos