VMware Cloud Community
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager

I tried to search for this here in the community but cannot find an answer. I need to use update manager for our ESX Server hosts and linux vmguests. I do not want to install the agent on our Windows Servers vmguests since we use sms to patch. Can you pick and choose or is it global? The documentation always indicated esx hosts and guests and did not indicated if you can do this if you want to on specific guests or if you can do it on hosts only.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
15 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You can create baselines per OS type and attach it to folders, clusters etc... anything you like.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks depping. However, how can i stop update manager from installing it on windows vmguests.

0 Kudos
virtualRW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does not look like you can seperate the two... but you might want to try not allowing update manager to download windows patches (which you can do), create the baseline and see if it sill puts the agent on windows VMs.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

You need to create a folder, place all the linux vm's inside this folder.

Set the baseline against this folder.

Run the scan to view, but I don't think you can remediate Linux virtual machines.

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. However, i am trying to edit and test this out. I was able to create a baseline but everything else is grayed out. We have enterprise license though.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

So, you've created a baseline selecting which patches you want to include and set this against the folder containing the vms.

I take it you've got the plugin installed for the VI client?

You should then be able to right click the folder containing the vm's that you've set the baseline against and selct scan for updates.

Once complete, select the update manager tab and view the compliant and non-compliant vm's.

Right click and select remediate.

Remeber:I did say you couldn't remediate Linux VM's, but I need someone to confirm.

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. That is the issue though. All config tabs are grayed out (i.e., scan for updates, remediation, edit baseline, etc.) We have enterprise version.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

So did you check the plugin to ensure it's enabled?

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup.... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Has the update manager been able to download the metadata showing all the available updates?

What happens if you set a baseline for the ESX hosts at the top level in your VirtualCenter and test, do you see the option to scan?

Also, are you connected using an admin ID?

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has the update manager been able to download the metadata showing all the available updates?

Yes.

What happens if you set a baseline for the ESX hosts at the top level in your VirtualCenter and test, do you see the option to scan?

No.

Also, are you connected using an admin ID?

Yes.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

I'm really not sure mate.

I would uncheck the option for the update manager plugin, disconnect, restart the VI client and re-enable the plugin. Try again.

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Argggg...Im trying not to do that....I will try to reinstall. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not suggesting you re-install update manager, simply un tick the option for the VI plugin.

Login to VC, go to the plugin drop down menu, select manage plugins, select the installed tab and click the box.

Easy, it will take 30 seconds to test

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mr. T. Did not work Smiley Sad

0 Kudos