VMware Cloud Community
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager

Can anyone please tell me whether we can scan 2 or 3 ESX servers against the same update manager at the same time or we just had to do one at a time?

I am able to scan all of them one by one but as soon as i try to run scan on 2 or three of them, only first one runs fine and rest all error's out with "Vmware Update Manager had a failure"

I don't have anything conclusive neither in update manager log on virtual center and nor on ESXupdate.log on ESX.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you have an Cluster installed you can click on your cluster and then make "Scan for Updates".

After that all you host shold be scannes for updates.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

No, I don't have cluster in place. I just have one datastore in which i have my six ESX servers and in order to scan multiple of them at the same time, I am right clicking on each one of them and choosing an option for scan updates. Only the first one works while the rest erros out.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried the first host to scan, that wait until its finished an d then the second and son on?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

yes...thats what i said in the begining. I can scan all of them one by one afte first finishes up. But not all of them.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well thats strange!!

Perhaps this host can help you?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/122795

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

I can't disconnect and reconnect my ESX to virtual center as its a VDI environment and Citrix Xendesktop is using VM's after accessing ESX through virtual center. However, I surely tried deleting my baseline and recreting and that didn't worked either.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Create a container in your VC (Foler / Cluster / Datacenter)

Move your hosts into this container - then you can simply right click the container and select 'Scan for updates' to scan all the hosts in the container.

You can move the hosts while they are running

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
kamalsharma
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that and it did the same thing.

However, we figured out our problem. The default number of session allowed to database is 10. We increased it to 50 and now my scans are all going fine and even they are taking lesser amount of time.

I will reply back to this thread incase i still have problems

0 Kudos