VMware Cloud Community
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager

I can't seem to figure out where update manager stores the updates on the virtual center server? Any ideas? Also, is it configurable? At some point I'll probably want to point those downloads to a larger disk drive...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qmcnetwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you install Update Manager you can configure where it will keep the updates. I decided to keep it on a separate (larger) disk because I didn't know how big it would get. I've been using it to patch ESX hosts and Windows VMs for at least 6 months and it's used about 2GB. I would also recommend putting Update Manager on a separate server with it's own SQL instance. I can live without Update Manager, but if Virtual Center goes down it's painful, so I don't want to risk the performance hit or any additional complications.

BTW, on a default install it will store the updates here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\

jonatj

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
qmcnetwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you install Update Manager you can configure where it will keep the updates. I decided to keep it on a separate (larger) disk because I didn't know how big it would get. I've been using it to patch ESX hosts and Windows VMs for at least 6 months and it's used about 2GB. I would also recommend putting Update Manager on a separate server with it's own SQL instance. I can live without Update Manager, but if Virtual Center goes down it's painful, so I don't want to risk the performance hit or any additional complications.

BTW, on a default install it will store the updates here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\

jonatj

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi BDorroh,

you can change the location of the downloaded patches in the following file

“C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml”

see also link: http://www.gabesvirtualworld.com/?p=28