VMware Cloud Community
Joe_Hegyi
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager problem has me stumped

I cannot get Update Manager to successfully do a download. I run the Schedule Update Download Wizard and choose Now for Start Time. After a bit, I get Web site hosting the update signatures and update packages cannot be reached. I'm pretty sure all my proxy settings / ID & password are correct. From the vmware-vci-log4cpp.log file (ID & proxy names changed for security):

Filter removed for : session[773AA179-966F-45C8-9DEE-40ECFDD761A5]BC192994-46A9-4440-95EA-BA22792CCDEF

Constructing xml request

Calling web service at

with cert

Downloading via proxy MYPROXY.MYDOMAIN.net:80

Proxy user: MYUSERID

2008-01-22 13:53:11:343 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 7572 INFO Delete VC task from database: task-402

Status code: 403

Error retrieving document 'https://www.vmware.com/PatchManagementSystem/patchmanagement'. Unhandled status code: 403

Download host update metadata error, Empty MetaContent

Waiting for 16 seconds to retry.

Download host update metadata, 2

Constructing xml request

Calling web service at

with cert

Error retrieving document 'https://www.vmware.com/PatchManagementSystem/patchmanagement'. Unhandled status code: 403

Download host update metadata, 3

Constructing xml request

Calling web service at

with cert

Downloading host update metadata failed after trying 3 times.

2008-01-22 13:53:59:375 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 3880 ERROR-- Error downloading the new ESX updates: Downloading host update metadata failed after trying 3 times. --2008-01-22 13:53:59:375 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 3880 ERROR Download host update : Vmacore::MethodFault::Exception message: integrity.fault.NoSignatureSiteConnection Where:

-> backtrace[03] eip 0x025234c9 (no symbol)

-> backtrace[04] eip 0x025256d1 (no symbol)

-> backtrace[05] eip 0x02525cf8 (no symbol)

-> backtrace[06] eip 0x0258e32e (no symbol)

-> backtrace[07] eip 0x02595380 (no symbol)

-> backtrace[08] eip 0x025960d7 (no symbol)

-> backtrace[09] eip 0x02589a92 (no symbol)

-> backtrace[10] eip 0x100f0b4a mailto:?IsEnlisted@System@Vmacore@@YA_NXZ

-> backtrace[11] eip 0x100f149c mailto:?IsEnlisted@System@Vmacore@@YA_NXZ

-> backtrace[12] eip 0x100f156e mailto:?IsEnlisted@System@Vmacore@@YA_NXZ

-> backtrace[13] eip 0x004044bc (no symbol)

-> backtrace[14] eip 0x77e6608b GetModuleFileNameA

2008-01-22 13:53:59:390 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 3880 INFO-- Downloading host update packages. Start reading new host updates from database. 0 new host updates found --2008-01-22 13:53:59:406 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 3880 INFO No new host update packages.

2008-01-22 13:53:59:437 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 3880 DEBUG-- The number of new updates downloaded: 0 --2008-01-22 13:53:59:437 'VciSigUpdateTask.SigUpdateTask' 3880 DEBUG SerializeToVimFault fault:

The only thing obvious I can see is the 403 error, but I'm not sure what that is. When I had the proxy settings wrong before, I got a different error (401 I think).

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get this issue as well. Have you managed to resolve it yet? I would really like to get this feature working.

0 Kudos
harrytoole
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem. I ended up running the service itself with a user that has the ability to go through the proxy.

0 Kudos
Joe_Hegyi
Contributor
Contributor

It just started working. Haven't talked to our network security folks yet, but they might have just added an exception for the server and not told anyone...

0 Kudos
squebel
Contributor
Contributor

If I want to add an exception rule for my server to allow access to a site for the patches, is this the proper address:

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wondering if a resolution has been found? I'm having the same problem... can't download patches that I know are new... no errors in Update Manager log, scheduled taks says completed successfully. I am going out through a proxy and at install time I successfully downloaded all 1.2GB of patches.... Can't see any errors in Event Viewer on VC server.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GastonV
Contributor
Contributor

Running the service with an account with valid permissions in the proxy did work for me too but I´m only receiing Shavlik updates nor Vmware updates.

0 Kudos
Pmarsha1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I initially had this issue going through ISA Servers that require authentication.

The solution was to set up the proxy option, without specifing a username an password and to use an account that has access through the proxy.

In my case I created a domain account, gave it access through ISA then added the account to the Administrators group on the VC Server.

Setting up the service with this account and starting the service immediatly tries to download the patches so you will know if it's going to work without using a scheduled task.

0 Kudos
neurosis89
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I have a similary problem, when I check update via proxy, Update Manager returns error :

In Virtual Center : Web site hosting the update signatures and update packages cannot be reached

In log file (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs) :

Downloading https://www.vmware.com/PatchManagementSystem/patchmanagement via myproxy.mydomain.net:8080

Proxy user: myusername

Status code: 502

Error retrieving document 'https://www.vmware.com/PatchManagementSystem/patchmanagement'. Unhandled status code: 502

I have an ISA server, I use an account who have permission to login to proxy and work on web and the web site is not blocked by the firewall.

If everyone have a solution to debug that Smiley Happy .

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rafnagud
Contributor
Contributor

I have VC 2.5U3 (b119598) and i have the same problem. (status code:403).

I'm not sure this help, but :

I found that if i established a connection to a web site with IE (through the proxy and from the VC Server), then it works. And in the "Internet access" (VIC/Update Manager/Configuration), the "Test connection" button works too (even if i enter a volontary bad password).

Seems our proxy authorize all connections from a machine after a successfull authentication (for all applications on this machine).

But in my tests, if i close IE then it stop working again.

With Wireshark, i see this :

HTTP CONNECT www.vmware.com:443 HTTP/1.0 , NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: \

It don't know if it normal but it seems that the user is blank (User: \ ). Maybe it's the problem if a proxy need an authentication.

Is there someone for whom it works with a proxy that requires authentication?

0 Kudos
neurosis89
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Rafnagud,

The solution of Pmarsha1 resolve my problem, I have put the proxy name in the xml file, reset the username and the password for proxy authentification and after add my domain account to Administrators group on VC server and start Update Manager Services with this domain account, it's work fine.

0 Kudos
Rafnagud
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Neurosis89,

I try all these modifications and it works.

I do not have the entries "proxyserver" and "proxyport" in the xml file so i do not know if it's really needed (i have the VC2.5U3 build 119598). Finally i retired it and it's keep working.

I also disable "proxy requires authentication" in the "Internet access" (VIC/Update Manager/Configuration).

Finally the only modifications i keep after all my tests :

- have a domain account which can be use with the internet proxy

- add the domain account in the local administrators group

- use this domain account to start the Update Manager service

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
mdwasim
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Experts,

I am using vCenter update manager 4, ISA 2006 ent proxy server which requires authenication to access internet.

Configured user account in "Patch download settings" which is local admin and have rights to access internet.

when I click on download button I see some entries in ISA 2006 logging which says

Log type: Web Proxy

(Forward)

*995 The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread

exit or an application request.

Rule: Inet Access

Source: Internal (vc-srv.mydomain.local

10.x.x.54)

Destination: External

(92.123.4.7:443)

Request: hostupdate.vmware.com:443

Filter information: Req ID: 097e83a2;

Compression: client=No, server=No, compress rate=0% decompress rate=0%

Protocol: SSL-tunnel

User: domain\vupdateacct

<dl><dt>!http://communities.vmware.com/_image/general/minusImg.gif!</dt>* Client agent:

• Object source: Internet
    (Source is the Internet. Object was added to the cache.)

• Cache
    info:
    0x0

• Processing time: 0
    ms

• MIME type:</dl>

https is permitted on the firewall policy in ISA.

can someone tell me where should i look into.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
The_Ether
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar 502 error, and got around it by using the proxy IP address:

http://theether.net/kb/100149

Cheers,

Jamie.

0 Kudos