VMware Cloud Community
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Update Manager - no 3.5 U1 so I'm not compliant?

I have built a 3.5 Update 2 host and after downloading all the available patches from VMware, the scan results say my host isn't compliant because it doesn't have 3.5 U1 installed!

Anyone else come across this? I was liking UM until it did this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fmagic
Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing this problem with Update 3. It is saying that Update 1 and Update 2 are not installed so our systems are not compliant. Should I go ahead and remediate anyway or will this cause problems?

0 Kudos
fmagic
Contributor
Contributor

I did some more research and found this is a known issue:

Refer to kb article 1006383 for additional details but here's the resolution:

NOTE: ESX update releases are cumulative. A new update release contains all fixes from the previous update release. For example, ESX-350-Update02 contains all of the fixes introduced in ESX350-Update01. Therefore, it is unnecessary to install ESX-350-Update01 on a host that is already compliant with ESX-350-Update02.

To work around the Not Compliant status of the ESX host against a baseline containing the ESX-350-Update01 rollup bundle do one of the following:

a) Detach the baseline containing the ESX-350-Update01 rollup bundle from all hosts that are compliant with the baseline containing the ESX-350-Update02 bundle. b) Remediate the host against the baseline containing ESX-350-Update01. No patch binaries are installed on the host, but the compliance status becomes Compliant.

0 Kudos
RAlltuck
Contributor
Contributor

We also had thiss issue with a fresh install of ESX 3.5 with Update 3 included. The "non-critical Host-Updates" said that Update 1 and Update 2 should be remediated.

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I remember reading a post from someone saying UM is intelligent enough to realise that if you have U3 installed, remediating U1 and U2 will not actually apply any patches but the host will then be seen as compliant.

Haven't tried it myself though...

Jon

0 Kudos