VMware Cloud Community
EvilChuckieDoll
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager - metadata for patch missing.

After finally successfully upgrading our 2.0 VI installation to 2.5, we are having problems with Update Manager. It seems updates download fine and baslines show up ok. We are able to successfully attach baselines, scan, and remediate any GUEST machines. On ESX hosts, we can attach baselines but cannot successfully scan them. Each time I see VMWARE UPDATE MANAGER HAD A FAILURE (under SCAN ENTITY) followed by METADATA FOR PATCH MISSING (under SCAN). I see a total of 10 updates on the baseline for ESX machines, but no way to apply them. Needless to say, we cannot remediate any ESX hosts (all 3.5 upgraded from 3.0.2). Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
43 Replies
padesjar
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, this worked for me too. With help from VMware support, we did a tail -f on the esxupdate.log in the var/log/vmware dir and when I ran a scan, it was trying to access the virtualcenter server name without the fully qualified name. When I performed a ping before, it could not resolve that name. For some reason, updating update manager with the IP did not resolve the issue, so adding the VC name and IP to hosts file fixed it for me.

0 Kudos
philbard
Contributor
Contributor

We had multiple nic's configured on our VCenter server. We have not as yet input the 'permanent' solution in the link below.

We did a work-around by:

Disabling the secondary nic

Stopping/starting the vmware update manager service

exiting/entering the VIC and retrying the scan

0 Kudos
cornel-omnilogi
Contributor
Contributor

thanks aldaendi, your solution worked for me!

0 Kudos
kernelphr34k
Contributor
Contributor

Updating /etc/hosts with my vCenter server + hostname solved this issue for me. I've tried about everything, and nothing worked. This was an easy fix that should be in documentation. I've spent far to long working on this dumb issue.

So in /etc/hosts...

10.10.10.10 hostname.domain.com hostname

-saved file

-sync

-Selected host, and scanned for updates. Worked!!

0 Kudos