VMware Cloud Community
EvilChuckieDoll
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager - metadata for patch missing.

After finally successfully upgrading our 2.0 VI installation to 2.5, we are having problems with Update Manager. It seems updates download fine and baslines show up ok. We are able to successfully attach baselines, scan, and remediate any GUEST machines. On ESX hosts, we can attach baselines but cannot successfully scan them. Each time I see VMWARE UPDATE MANAGER HAD A FAILURE (under SCAN ENTITY) followed by METADATA FOR PATCH MISSING (under SCAN). I see a total of 10 updates on the baseline for ESX machines, but no way to apply them. Needless to say, we cannot remediate any ESX hosts (all 3.5 upgraded from 3.0.2). Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Talio-Gladius
Contributor
Contributor

Anyhow, this is an awesome edition that has been needed for a long time. Updates fixed a couple other issues I was having...

0 Kudos
TMFHS
Contributor
Contributor

Just speculation, but I believe that the Scheduled Update goes to the VMware website and downloads a file with the list of current updates. Then the scan for updates uses this list to check the ESX servers and/or virtual machines for any need service packs, updates, and/or hot fixes..

Note: For those using proxy servers read pages 15 and 16 of the update manager administration guide.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10_admin_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Davidste
Contributor
Contributor

I've found that the hosts communicate through the "reverse proxy service" port may be blocked by a firewall between the Virtual Center server and the host. Scanning / Remediating appears to automatically open up the port in the ESX firewall, but if you have the windows firewall enabled this may cause the error. Alternatively you may find you config is attempting to run this reverse proxy service on a port that's already in use, so it isn't starting correctly.

0 Kudos
daat
Contributor
Contributor

hi madhattr!

yes, i think you're right, that if the ip shown in the logs is not the one your esx servers are being managed by, the problem can be solved with this.

unfortunatly i found no way to make VC listen/bind on all ip's

if you have other services running on the box where vc runs on, it might be difficult to change the nic bindings, because that might interrupt other services, which then listen to the wrong ip...

if somebody knows a way to explicitly tell VC which ip to use, i would love to hear it!

thanks

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

DAAT,

You got a very good point there, you may want to open up a ticket with VMWare and see what the resolution to that is then post it.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
daat
Contributor
Contributor

just filed a sr

i'll let you all know

0 Kudos
daat
Contributor
Contributor

here's the reply from support:

If Updatemanager is binding the wrong nic you have two possible workarounds.

The preferred method is to edit the Update Manager configuration file, located on the Update Manager Server.

1.Launch the windows service management console and stop VMware Update Manager Service.

+ Start -> Run -> type 'services.msc' -> press 'Enter'.+

2.Edit the Update Manager configuration file.

+ Note: the default location is C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml file. Change the drive letter and/or path as required.+

3.Locate the section named "HostConfig". It should look something like this:

+ <HostConfig>+

+ <PatchDepotUrl></PatchDepotUrl>+

+ Note: Update Manager ignores the information about the hostname during installation and leaves this section empty. That causes the Update Manager to use the first NIC in the binding order on the Windows machine that runs VirtualCenter and Update Manager.+

4.If your VirtualCenter hostname is for example "vcServer", enter the address as noted below:

+ <HostConfig>+

+ <PatchDepotUrl>http://vcserver/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate</PatchDepotUrl>+

+ Note: This VirtualCenter host name should be pingable from your ESX Server hosts.+

5.Save and exit the configuration file.

6.Restart VMware Update Manager from the service management console.

Alternatively, you can change the binding order of the network adapters on the machine running VMware Update Manager.

1.Open the Network Connections control panel.

+ Start -> Run -> type 'ncpa.cpl' -> press 'Enter'.+

2.You can see the available connections in the LAN and High-Speed Internet section of the Network Connections window.

3.From the Advanced menu, select Advanced Settings.

4.Select the Adapters and Bindings tab.

5.In the Connections area, select the connection you wish to move higher in the list and use the arrow buttons to move the connection.

Note: Place the NIC that is accessible by ESX server as the first NIC in the list.

Note:

* The Adapters and Bindings tab lists the connections in the order in which the connections are accessed by network services. The order of these connections reflects the order in which TCP/IP or the next available protocol is bound to the network adapters. The bindings for remote access connections apply to all remote access connections.

* The Provider Order tab lists the network providers for this computer. You can use the arrow buttons to change the order in which these providers are accessed. You can arrange the order in which the computer accesses information about the network. Providers and other connections are accessed in the order in which the providers and the connections are listed.

0 Kudos
Davidste
Contributor
Contributor

I've found on my server the vci-integrity.xml file is ignored when the service starts in favour of the registry settings which are found at:

So if changing the xml file doesn't fix it, try editing the registry (and restarting the service)

0 Kudos
off_road
Contributor
Contributor

I found the following kb article. Basically, in my situation, the default port of 80 was not being used. The article details 2 workarounds.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100394...

0 Kudos
aldaendi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I had also this strange problem but i have solved it for my company.

Go to the vci-integrity.xml file and look for the following :

<!-- HostUpdate Management Configuration -->

<HostConfig>

In the Next Line Try something like that:

<PatchDepotURL>http://VCServerHostName:80/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate</PatchDepotURL>

restart the VMWare update manager service and then try to scan again.

Hope it works for you

0 Kudos
XBFoz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I had this same issue. I went to scheduled tasks and right-clicked - selected "run now" - it did the update and now everything is working again.

0 Kudos
dmgenesys
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded to VC 2.5 Update 1 and all of a sudden had the same issue with updates, even though everything worked before and no modifications were done. Could be that I missed something in documentation, but anyway here is what was the problem in my case and what fixed it...

On the initial install of VC 2.5 we have specified a non-default location for updates and metadata - we placed the folder in the root of the drive. When faced with the this problem not being able to scan for updates - I went to vci-integrity.xml and noticed that this setting was pointing to a wrong place:

<docRootHostUpdates>

<namespace>"/vci/hostupdates"</namespace>

<path>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\</path>

</docRootHostUpdates>

</docRootMap>

Once I changed the path back to the correct folder - everything started working again. And this might explain why manual scans didn't work, whereas automatic did. With automatic it would download the metadata from vmware servers servers and place it into a new folder - but with manual it relies on whatever there is already. Or am I mistaken? Anyway - could help somebody else Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
andrewmorgan
Contributor
Contributor

I also had this error message on a fresh install of ESX Server 3.5 Update 1 and VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1. I checked all the solutions listed here, but everything I had was bone-stock.

Then I noticed that I had the directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate\, but it didn't contain esx\esx-3.5.0\contents.xml.sig. I manually created esx\esx-3.5.0\, downloaded the latest contents.zip file, and extracted it there.

After that, Update Manager detected that it had patches to download and I'm off and running.

0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All

I had a same issue and fixed it following all instructions uptill where someone mentioned about scheduling update manager. So I am not sure which one fixed this may scheduling of updates or network preference. Thanks to all of you for your help

Ajay

0 Kudos
mcdmagix
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much to Aldaendi.... the suggestion to adding in the PatchDepotURL solved my problem.

THANK YOU!!! :smileylaugh:

Hi

I had also this strange problem but i have solved it for my company.

Go to the vci-integrity.xml file and look for the following :

<!-- HostUpdate Management Configuration -->

<HostConfig>

In the Next Line Try something like that:

<PatchDepotURL>[http://VCServerHostName:80/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate]</PatchDepotURL>

restart the VMWare update manager service and then try to scan again.

Hope it works for you

0 Kudos
gselby
Contributor
Contributor

YEAH!!! dmgenesys, you're a star! It helped me! :smileycool:

I also installed Update1 and the path was wrong. Well spotted!!!

Cheers

0 Kudos
twa3
Contributor
Contributor

The NIC binding order made the difference for me. Thanks for the solution. I reconfigured the NIC binding order, rebooted the server (restart of services did not work for me) and then I was good to go with no other modifications. I had already created a scheduled task last week manually for the update download, so that could still be something to watch for with others. Cheers!

http://mainesysadmin.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Awesome post. Thanks

0 Kudos
JBanker
Contributor
Contributor

I have a three node cluster that I was updating during the long weekend. The first two machines updated w/o any issue; the third machine complained about the metadata missing just like what you all have run into.

I perused many of the problems and solutions in this thread to no avail. What finally fixed it: restarting the update manager service. That's it. It seems that in my installation I have to do that periodically or the system won't download updates from VMware.com as well. Hopefully the next version will put this right.

0 Kudos
aironeblue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I was reading all the posted answerd to this issue and after spending 2 days with VMware support which included steps like renaming the metadata folder, uninstalling the update manager service, client and all kind of things I resolved the problem the easiest way possible.

I believe that this issue can be caused by very different reasons but reading this thread really gave me the idea that resolve the problem in my case.

Simply, my ESX 3.5.0 host wasn't communicating properly back to the vCenter server eventhough it registered perfectly and made it to the inventory.

While I was trying to resolve the problem only from the vCenter perspective, the problem really was at the host.

Solution: I am not using a DNS to resolve and servers are in different vlans but they are routable in my network. I went to the /etc/hosts file and viola! no entry for the vCenter server, so, I added the entry with the right IP address and next time I scan the host from update manager in the vCenter server it completed the scan!

Thank you all for giving ideas on how to resolve and I hope this help others as well. Check always everything.

0 Kudos