VMware Cloud Community
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Update Manager intelligence

All - is Update Manager intelligent enough to know that if a particular patch/update is excluded and it is a requirement for another patch, don't apply the dependant patch? I am excluding Update 2 but want all the other available patches? Will it attempt to apply the ones that require Update 2 or will it skip them?

Adam

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Update Manager is intelligent enough to skip the patches that are U2 dependent. I've tried this out in a test environment and it seemed to work fine. Are you concerned about the issues with U2 is that why you don't want to install it? Since the fxes have been in place, I've updated all ESX servers to run Update 2 and the associated patches and everything is stable and working fine.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Update Manager is intelligent enough to skip the patches that are U2 dependent. I've tried this out in a test environment and it seemed to work fine. Are you concerned about the issues with U2 is that why you don't want to install it? Since the fxes have been in place, I've updated all ESX servers to run Update 2 and the associated patches and everything is stable and working fine.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I see some discrepancies in the tech notes regarding some of the

patches. Example: 8402-BG is listed as being ESX3.5, yet the

"deployment considerations" say: ESX350-200808402-BG requires the

installation of ESX 3.5 U2 refresh bundle ESX350-200808201-UG. A

little confusing as to what this patch applies to. I wouldn't want

Update Manager to apply incorrect patches.

I plan on applying U2 after we complete some other work here. It's easy for me to get approval for general patches, but major updates require lab work and I am a bit short on time right now.

adam

0 Kudos