VMware Cloud Community
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager feature in vCenter missing

I have upgraded to vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller version 6.7.0.42200.  The service your update manager is there and running, however to normal way to access the feature is not there.  The update tab for the hosts is also missing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Have you un-register update manager before upgrade? If yes then you need to register update manager to get in vCenter.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

I did not un-register update manager.  I upgraded via the Appliance Management interface.  I was on vCenter Appliance 6.7 Update 3d build number 15679281

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Can you check the update manager plugin showing in vCenter. Check with following steps.

1. Login to vCenter via Web Client

2. Click on Home

3. Click on Administration

4. Click on Client Plug-in

0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

it is not present in that screen.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

Great, I will give this a try and report back.  Thank you for your quick assistance!

0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the instructions in the link provided, and that doesnt seem to have worked.  I get the following error.

Error deploying plug-in. java.io.IOException: Cannot create: /etc/vmware/vsphere-ui/cm-service-packages/com.vmware.cis.vsphereclient.plugin/com.vmware.vcIntegrity.vcIntegrity-6.7.0.41977/com.vmware.vcIntegrity.vcIntegrity-6.7.0.41977.esa com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.sandboxing.EsaBuilder.createTempFile(EsaBuilder.java:203)

It shows 2 new Plug-Ins but they are both N/A and they have a Deployment status of Failed

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Can you share the vCenter logs.

0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

I have replaced all IPs with the X.X.X.X

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Can you share update manager logs.

0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

Please see attached..

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

I'm checking the logs. However, I have some questions

1. what version to what version upgraded?

2. VMware Update manager earlier running on orginal vcenter or using seperate update manager server?

3. what procedure you follow to upgrade the vCenter?

0 Kudos
creiff
Contributor
Contributor

1. From vCenter 6.7.0.42100 to version 6.7.42200

2. Running on same vCenter (embedded)

3. From the Appliance Management UI the Update section.

I also took the working vCenter with the Update Manager plugin, copied all the files in /etc/vmware/vsphere/vspere-ui/cm-service-packages/com.vmware.cis.vsphereclient.plugin and replaced them with the not working vCenter with Update Manager.  The only difference between those 2 vCenter servers in that folder is the not working vCenter has a folder in that location of com.vmware.imagebuilder.imagebuilder-6.7.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

I did not find any relevant error in the log. I would suggest Please open VMware support case.

0 Kudos