VMware Cloud Community
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager error

Hi,

I am trying to run a scan for updates on my ESX Hosts and Update Manager keeps coming back with "Vmware Update Manager had a failure.". The task details only say: "Failed to scan ESX1 for updates" I think this only started since U3 but can't be sure that is related.

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi! I had that same issue when I first installed Update 3. Check to make sure you have the necessary ports open on each of your ESX servers to allow Update Manager to run. From my experience, you need to enable the updatemanager ports and the EMC Network Agent Ports. You can do this through Virtual Centre, by selecting the ESX server, go to the configuation tab and select Security profile. Once you have enabled the ports, you need to restart the update manager service.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, "updatemanager" is enabled in the security profile. Do I need EMC Network Agent Ports enabled? This looks like it open many ports?

Tried disabling and reenableing updatemanager but still getting same error. I was not sure about enabling the EMC Network Agent Ports.

Thanks

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mine only worked when I enabled the EMC networker Agent. In the logs

for Update Manager I saw that it was using a port that is only covered

in this range. If you look in the logs and find the exact port, you can

just open that up through the service console and see if that corrects

it.

0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, Tried enabling EMC Networker Port but did not work. What file did you look at to see the port in question ? I assume this file is on VC Server under All Users -> VMware -> ...

Thanks

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you restart the Update Manager service after trying this? I'm

talking about the service in the Computer Management section of your

Virtual Server?

0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, Yes I restart the Vmware Update Service under the Services section on the VC Server. That is why I wanted to check the log you had seen the port information in so I could see if there is something else gone wrong.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Look in the logs in this area:

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update

Manager\Logs

Of the Virtual Centre Server. Check the file vmware-ci-log4cpp.log

0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am looking through the log file but noticed this:

Database error (vdb) "ODBC error: (23000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_VCI_SHISTVMS_REF_SIG". The conflict occurred in database "UMDB", table "dbo.VCI_UPDATES", column 'ID'." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VCI_SCANHISTORY_TARGETS (scanh_id, update_id, target_uid, target_status, failurereason) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

Task execution has failed: SingleHostScan : Database error (vdb) "ODBC error: (23000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_VCI_SHISTVMS_REF_SIG". The conflict occurred in database "UMDB", table "dbo.VCI_UPDATES", column 'ID'." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VCI_SCANHISTORY_TARGETS (scanh_id, update_id, target_uid, target_status, failurereason) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

By that - it looks like you have a problem connecting to your database.

Was this a brand new install of Update Manager when you went to Update

3? If so, uninstall just Update Manager and re-install. This fixes a

lot of issues. But check the ports after that to ensure that they are

enabled.

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try following this thread also. It looks like they have the same database error as you.

0 Kudos
Lukino2000
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here....

I just recreated UM Db and deleted the patch store folder... i noticed that re-runnig "download patches task" only 1 file has been downloaded

the problem is that the site http://vip-patchmgmtwlc.vmware.com is not resolveable (DNS).

I tried my DNS server, my Provider server, but also ns1.vmware.com and ns4.vmware.com

no dns server contains this record

can any1 open an issue at vmware for tell them the error (i can't)???

bye

0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I followed the links provided which I think brought me here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1098113

I had to basically ran a repair on the Update Manager componentand choose to reinitialize the DB. That seems to have fixed it for me however I lost the couple of default ESX Critcal and NonCritical Baselines that are typically there with installation.

Thanks to all those that contributed.

0 Kudos