VMware Cloud Community
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager doesn't Support Win2K3 Datacenter Edition in VI3

Whats up with that? Does anyone know why they woudn't do that and when and if they might?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a test environment, you can edit the vci-integrity.xml file and add in datacenter edition as supported guest ID. For example, try this:

Change this:

<!--

To add a list of supported GuestOSes edit the following

The values comes from Vim::Vm::GuestOsDescriptor.h

<supportedWindowsGuestIds>

<winVista64Guest/>

</supportedWindowsGuestIds>

<supportedLinuxGuestIds>

<rhel5_64Guest/>

</supportedLinuxGuestIds>

-->

To this

<winVista64Guest/>

<winNetDatacenterGuest/>

<supportedLinuxGuestIds>

<rhel5_64Guest/>

Let us know if you do and your results.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Probably because Data center supports RAM well outside the range that a VM can, so there is no need to run Datacenter, when Enterprise will work.

CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm.. that could be it. It would be nice if they would make it clear it's not supported tho.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Datacenter Edition is supported on ESX 3.5 and Update1. Page 36 of the guest OS Install Guide.

0 Kudos
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's exactly which version I'm running, and yes as a guest it's supported but when I try to remediate the guest I get "failed to scan or remediate "guestname" because of unsupported or unknown OS: winNetDatacenterGuest"

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Enterprise supports 64 Gb of RAM. A VM maxiumum supported RAM is 64 Gb. So why run Datacenter in the first place?

Datacenter and Enterprise are exactly the same the ONLY difference being scale of hardware. Datacenter supports something like 32 SMP processors (or something like that) -- WAY beyond the limiits of a VM.

So we are talking about an OS that is beyond the parameters of the VM anyway. So support or not, it's moot.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a test environment, you can edit the vci-integrity.xml file and add in datacenter edition as supported guest ID. For example, try this:

Change this:

<!--

To add a list of supported GuestOSes edit the following

The values comes from Vim::Vm::GuestOsDescriptor.h

<winVista64Guest/>

<supportedLinuxGuestIds>

<rhel5_64Guest/>

-->

To this

<winVista64Guest/>

<winNetDatacenterGuest/>

<supportedLinuxGuestIds>

<rhel5_64Guest/>

Let us know if you do and your results.

-KjB

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there a valid reason you really NEED datacenter, or do you just want to play around with it? Because Enterprise does the same as Datacenter. There are no additional features.

0 Kudos
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wish I could say this works but it doesn't. I changed the .xml and restarted VC. Don't suppose I need to restart ESX?

0 Kudos
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't really NEED datacenter. I just wish it was better documented that it's NOT supported. It would have saved some time to reinstall the OS's I've already built.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you get the same error? Since it's a Update Manager function, I wouldn't imagine you would need to restart ESX. Just that service alone should pick up the changes to the file.

-KjB

0 Kudos
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yup.. same error

0 Kudos
creiche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make sure you didn't forget to uncomment the section... I make that mistake and once I realized it was commented out and uncommented it, it's scanning now properly.

Thanks,

Chris

CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're absolutely correct thanks!! I guess I didn't even notice that section was "commented out". Can you say "moron"? ; ) Both 32bit and 64bit Datacenter editions are updating perfectly. : )

0 Kudos