VMware Cloud Community
js40687
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager Downloads

I have a new VC 2.5 u3 install with Update Manager. My VC server has to go thru a Proxy, no choice and it fails to download accordingly.

So I have installed the download service on a separate workstation, and on a broadband connection can allow it to download without going thru a proxy. This worked, although it took quite a while. I configured it for only download ESX updates and it pulled down 4Gb on first run. I have now tried it again a couple of weeks later to see if any new updates but it has started downloading at the beginning?

I have just tried to run it again using the --start-time parameter to try and avoid pulling down all the 4Gb previosuly downloaded but it seems to start from the beginning no matter what I do.

The command I am using is as follows

vmware-umds --re-download --start-time 2008-11-26T00:00:00 --end-time 2008-12-07T00:00:00

I tried it with just --download and start time etc also as --re-download is supposed to be for re-downloading ones you already have?

Surely it knows what it has successfully downloaded previously and doesn't need to do it again?

Has anyone worked out how to get around this?

Thanks

Jim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using the same download repository for the patches? It sounds like the 2nd time you ran it, it wasn't pointing to the same download repository. Did you check to see where it's pointing to?

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
js40687
Contributor
Contributor

It is setup exactly the same as when I ran it first time. The patch respository is still there with all the previously downloaded files in there. All the config is in the xml file which hasn't changed. It is just overwriting the files with freshly downloaded exact copies. I guess at the end it will download any new ones, but don't want to have to do this everytime.

0 Kudos