VMware Cloud Community
roland_geiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager: Download Location as a network share?

Hello everybody

I know how to set the download location for the patches of VM Update Manager. Since the patches seem to use very much diskspace there is probably not enough free space on the local disks on my Virtual Center Server. What about changing the path to a network share - either as a mapped driveletter or as a UNC path... does this work? - Has anyone some experience?

best regards,

Roland

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't see a reason why it should't work as long as you have the network share mapped and it has a drive letter on your update manager (VC) machine.

I have not tried the network share but I will be interested to know how you getting on

Cheers

0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried it as UNC and it doesn't work. Haven't tried as mapped network drive.

0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

Update Manager configuration stored in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml

Use <docRootHostUpdates> section to change you updates location.

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
radu_dinut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

<docRootHostUpdates>

<namespace>"/vci/hostupdates"</namespace>

<path>E:\Update Manager\VMware Update Manager\Data\</path>

</docRootHostUpdates>

This is what I have. When I tried to use UNC nothing happened. I will try again, maybe I did something wrong.

0 Kudos
roland_geiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I changed the harddisks on the VC server and replaced them with bigger ones. So with the space left I made a new partition E:\ and changed the path to that E:\ drive. I copied all files from the default/original path to the new one and it works fine.

0 Kudos