VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manage using an external database

Aloha - I've decided to install Update Manger using an external database. The manual does not discuss how to do this. Do I follow a similar procedure that I did when creating my original VC database??

Mahalo, Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

exactly the same process as setting up your vCenter DB. You could actually use the vCenter DB if you'd like. For us though we created a separate instance. I don't like the idea of sharing Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

exactly the same process as setting up your vCenter DB. You could actually use the vCenter DB if you'd like. For us though we created a separate instance. I don't like the idea of sharing Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mahalo sir!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

my pleasure.... Here's the admin guide if you haven't seen it, but if you can setup your vCenter DB, VUM is a "piece of cake"

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10u2_admin_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aloha Troy, If I may, I'd like to pose a related question. Every time I read about the storage requirements, it bounces in my head differently. This is what's currently bouncing. What goes to the SQL database is metadata only (small stuff)?? The Update Manger Dowload service is ONLY needed if my VCenter server has no internet connectivity (mine does).

Mahalo, Bill

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Aloha Troy, If I may, I'd like to pose a related question. Every time I read about the storage requirements, it bounces in my head differently. This is what's currently bouncing. What goes to the SQL database is metadata only (small stuff)?? The Update Manger Dowload service is ONLY needed if my VCenter server has no internet connectivity (mine does).

The VUM instance stores all the patches (windows, ESX and Linux) in it's repository. We have a system volume and a data volume that we use for the Update repository. We run our VUM instance as a VM as well, so no need to buy new hardware.

vCenter does not access the VMware download site, your VUM server will, so the ability to get to the internet is needed from your VUM Server.

What is stored in the VUMDB, hmmm....I would imagine it's information pertaining to what updates have been installed on your hosts and guests, as well as some understanding of your vCenter layout. I'll check out the admin guide and get you a definitive answer on that....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

here's what I could find so far

Update Manager server requires a database to store and organize server data. Page 13

That's really all I could find... So I still think it stores information related to the patch level of your hosts and guests. Maybe someone who knows the inner workings of the VUM DB can chime in

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The water is getting muddier by the minute. Your comment about having a system and a data volume baffles me. A few bits of info that may or may not mean anything - I am installing VUM on my (physical) VCenter server and I have only four hosts. I only care about host updates. Not sure about what to tell the DBA about database size.

The manual you pointed me to is newer than what I was working with. Let me look over it and see what happens.

Mahalo hou, Bill

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you install VUM, part of the install it will ask you where you want to the updates to be stored. For us, it was just easier to separate the data into another volume.

Since you are installing VUM onto your vCenter server just make sure you have enough space to store all the updates. For us, we just use VUM for ESX updates so our repository is not that big.

sorry for confusing you...

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok... So I would attach a new LUN to my VCenter server and use that as my repository?? Seeing that you only use VUM to patch ESX hosts as my intent is, how much space are you using? And all that said, where does SQL come into all this?? Is it used to store what patch is already on which hosts??

And if you don't mind, where are you?? I always enjoy knowing where people I converse are from. Me - I'm in Wailuku, Hawai`i.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I sent you a PM. Our VUM repository is only 4GB and the DB size is 110MB.

I am not 100% certain on what is stored in the VUMDB, but i would have to guess it's information around patch levels, whether hosts/guests are compliant....etc

I'm in Phoenix, AZ

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I like duplicating sucess. Mahalo nui for all your help.

Bill

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troy - To clarify - I would NOT need to install the Update Manager Download Service, correct?

Bill

0 Kudos