VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Update MAnager Again update 3

Using Update Manager I can scan all ESX hosts but when I run the default scheduled task or VC looks for updates I keep getting "Metadata download failed" - attached any ideas? logging on as local admin and I have Internet access

0 Kudos
7 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Seems like it initiated the download but failed due to proxy settings by chance? Seems like a bug that several U3 problems have been posted on this forum now.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok update, I am using port 80 and I've changed the Default Website on IIS to 81

I can scan all the hosts ok, it returns them as being all compliant. I'm using ESX Update 2 with VC Update 3

When vc.integrity runs it gets to 60% then fails, I can access the internet easily on the server, and the proxy test option passes.

Im at an absolute loss why I keep getting metadata download failed its driving me nuts on both Virtual Centers

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

During the installer I am pointing the prgram to an e drive and the patch repository to e drive also.

does the installer need to go on c: ? because I know its ok to have the patch repository on another drive as I am doing it elsewhere without issue

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

After much digging it would seem it was the hardware firewall, phew....

0 Kudos
ZX6dodge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Zippy, i am having the same issue. What exactly on your firewall was being blocked (which ports etc) to cause this problem ?

0 Kudos
formulator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you want to see what connection is having trouble getting established start the operation to download the updates at the same time goto the command line on the VC box and type in: netstat -an | find "SYN_SENT"

you can keep repeating the command this shows you what TCP connections the host is attempting to setup, if the connection stays in this state no reply is being received from the responder to setup the TCP connection. If you don't see this at all the problem may be DNS resolution. Also, sometimes firewalls will actually reset the connection if it's not allowed but most times the above will give you an idea of where the TCP traffic is going. Failing that you can always capture packets to see what traffic is not being allowed, look for a SYN packet being sent by the VC box and nothing or a RST being received.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There was a restriction placed by the firwall administrator on the size of downloads + ALL .zip file extensions had been blocked...

www.fritzyboi.com

0 Kudos