VMware Cloud Community
Viewaskew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unmounting iSCSI datastores

I’m trying to remove an iSCSI datastore from about 10 x 6.0 U2 hosts. I’ve unmounted it as usual but its errored on 2 hosts saying “HostStorageSystem.UnmountVmfsVolume" and “Unmount VMFS volume The operation is not allowed in the current state” The rest have dismounted fine.

If I go on the two hosts with the C# client directly, it tells me under Config / Storage that the DS is unmounted. It just seems its unmounted in vCenter which Ive restarted several times but to no avail. Ive also restarted the management agents on the hosts again to no avail.

Any ideas how I unmount from these hosts so it shows in vCenter? I guess I could delete it anyway in VC seeing as its really unmounted on all the hosts even if not showing .

Thanks

2 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please see the below forum, check the last comment of this forum

If you have another datastore which you can empty and unmount, this will trigger another rescan at host level. 

Note : Before doing this, please read the 2nd comment in the forum to clear the required steps first.

Cannot delete/unmount datastore from one of ESXi hosts

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

its a widely observed issue, sometimes the vCenter inventory is not updated with the changes made at host or vm level.

Have you restarted all services on vCenter? If not I would recommend to reboot the vCenter host. It will restart all services including Inventory service.

Its safe to delete the datastore since it shows as unmounted at host level on all hosts.