VMware Cloud Community
Gene_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unknown server in datastore

Hello,

When I "browse datastore" on one of my SAN volumes, I see a server name that I cannot match up with the servers displayed in the normal "Inventory View" in Virtual Center.

I know that names can get out of sync when specifying one virtual machine name when creating the virtual machine and then using the "Inventory View" to change the virtual machine name. (the original name used to create the virtual machine stays with the directory in vmfs/volumes/SAN01).

My delima is that I cannot tell if this is an an active vm that was renamed or if it was a vm that was "removed from Inventory" instead of "deleted from disk"

Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Graham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Gene

If you can putty to the ESX server and vi the vmx file, about 10 lines down you should see displayName =

This is the name of the machine that will be added to the inventory

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_Graham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you add it back to the Inventory for investigation?

0 Kudos
Gene_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I see the option to "add to inventory" if I right click on the .vmx file.

However, is it possible to add a server twice? I get the same option when I tried right clicking on a running server.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Graham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Gene

If you can putty to the ESX server and vi the vmx file, about 10 lines down you should see displayName =

This is the name of the machine that will be added to the inventory

0 Kudos
Gene_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, this is exactly the answer that I was looking for. I will give this a try!

0 Kudos