VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unknown Error When Cloning 2 VMS

I'm trying to clone 2 VM's but keep getting the same error, I cant see anyone that has had this error.

invalid configuration for device '1'

Please help its driving me crackers, they are going from a DL585 to another DL585 there are only 10 vms in totla over the two boxes.

Any ideas, guys...

Fraser

0 Kudos
9 Replies
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you doing this in VC? Which versions? We need more information.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VC 2.0.1 ESX 3.0.1 will try removing from the Cluster, God I would kill for a Ginsters right now! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

OK 1 VM has 3 HDD

the other has 4 HDD

all the others have 2 HDD's

Is there a limit that a VM with more than 2 HDD cant be cloned

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are any of these HDDs on Local SCSI?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Moving from SAN to local SCSI. I was able to migrate the VM's but not clone!

0 Kudos
waldorfo2
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen this error quite often recentely. In most cases it's intermitent. Just come and go without any reason. However, there is one envieroment where the problem is permanent. ERror message is not very helpfull, though...

Let me explain the env where the problem is permanent.

2 ESX servers without external/shared storage, only local SCSI (actually RAID). Cloning from one server to the other fails with: "invalid configuration for device '1' "

funny thing is that this cust has 2 other servers. Hardware is EXACTELY the same. (it's in different network) ESX revision is exactely the same as well (I installed all 4 servers the same day). Cloning works perfectely fine there.

THe only difference is that in the first scenario hosts are connected to 100mb network while the other is 1GB. timeout? I remember that there was a setting to increase timeout for SCSI operations. might be worth to try?

I am going to open SR for this soon, so I'll keep you informed...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

After removing the Host from the Cluster and removing all evidence the failed cloned server ever existed I then rebooted the ESX host, it then worked! bizzaar -

SAN to Local SCSI attached device if both Hosts are in the same cluster is not a good idea. NB for the future.

0 Kudos
waldorfo2
Contributor
Contributor

In my situation it was a case of CDROM. While it was set as "Client Device" clone failed, when changed to "Host Device" worked fine!

Bizarre! I really think that error messages in VC should be more descriptive. Anyway new VC was released last week and I heard that a lot of isses had been fixed so maybe this one as well...

0 Kudos