VMware Cloud Community
ESABO12
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalling an Old Vcenter server

We moved everything off our old vcenter server and we would like to know the proper way to uninstall it from our production environment.    Do we have to uninstall it using add/remove programs or can we just power down the server.      Just wondering if there is an KB on this topic out as we are new to vmware.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

just uninstall will do or even power off it's actually up to you. if the server is to be reformat and reprovision then you can just leave it alone and let it be formatted later.

0 Kudos
ESABO12
Contributor
Contributor

We did not know if there were any ties in with the new vcenter server or the active directory schema. Are there any licenses in the old environment that we would have to be concerned about?

Thanks again for the quick reply and answer.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

there is no ties and separately independent. the vcenter are licensed by concurrent active hosts. so if it's being powered off the you're legally fine 😃

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Once your ESX hosts are removed form one VC and added to another, there is no longer a relationship between the hosts and the VC.

if you have removed all ESX hosts, you can safely shut down the old VC.

Before you do so, remember that having migrated, the information on the old VC will be lost - so permissions / resource pools  / historical performance info and so on. I am guessing that in your case this does not matter as you have recreated it on th new host, but it is just worth being aware of.

also, I assume that you are not hosting anything for the new VC (like database) on the old VC, so nor porbs there?

Lastly, I am unsure if you are aware, but even if you shut down your VC, your ESX hosts continue to operate and all VMs behave as before - so there is no risk in shutting down the old VC at all. (which I guess i probably what you want to hear)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .