VMware Cloud Community
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalled VMware server 2.0 from VC server, now VirtualCenter Server service will not start

WHen I log onto the server, I get the error sqlmangr.exe - The application has failed to start because msvcr71.dll was not found....

I've searched for msvcr71.dll and there are about a dozen copies of it on the server. Do I just need to re-register the DLL or something? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The easiest thing here is to reinstall vc. I've run into issues with the c runtime before, and it's not an easy enough fix, even though it should be. As you said, the dll is located in several locations, but still not working. Save yourself a lot of headache and re-run the vc install. As I said before, as long as you don't do anything to the vc database, you should have no issues. Backup the vc db, just in case.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem is that those locations may not be referenced. So, update your system path to include the location where that file exists. Then, try to restart. Otherwise, just rerun the install and try to repair your install. As long as you don't do anything to your db, all of your data will not be affected.

-KjB

Subversive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, how would I go about updating the system path in this case?

I also copied one copy of the DLL to system32, thinking that might work, as that is the default path for DLL's. However, no dice.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The easiest thing here is to reinstall vc. I've run into issues with the c runtime before, and it's not an easy enough fix, even though it should be. As you said, the dll is located in several locations, but still not working. Save yourself a lot of headache and re-run the vc install. As I said before, as long as you don't do anything to the vc database, you should have no issues. Backup the vc db, just in case.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh, excellent! I misunderstood earlier, thought you wanted me to reinstall SQL. Anyway, this worked, I just had to do a bit of mucking about with the DSN setup. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos