VMware Cloud Community
PeterFA
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to upload files to datastore from my mac

Hello,

I'm trying to set up my lab using VMware Fusion, but it looks like I've got a problem with client integration plugin. I had the very same problem like one month ago, but it got fixed itself somehow in a few days, but I really don't know how. I got my macbook pro replaced yesterday, so I'm setting up the lab from scratch again having the very same problem I had before. When I select a file to upload nothing really happens. The file I selected is showed in the panel below, but it's not uploaded, no progress at all. Do you have any ideas what I could do about it? I'm starting to be kind of desperate ... Like I said, I had the same problem before, but after some time it just started working. I was using Safari to access the web client without any problem, everything worked. I feel under pressure now because I need to practise for my exam, but I can't. Any help appreciated.

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 14.07.05.png

6 Replies
GaneshNetworks

Im very sure that it is a known issue in IE web client, but not sure about safari. VMware recommends IE user to use an another browser(Firefox, Chrome,etc.,).

I recommend you to try Firefox to upload files. Web client makes everyone unhappy, not only you Smiley Sad

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
PeterFA
Contributor
Contributor

I will try that, though I don't like the idea of having multiple web browsers. I really don't understand all this. I had the same problem, then it started working and I was very happy with that. Now I'm facing the same problem again. If I only knew what the cause could be ... Don't know if it is a problem of vcenter server running inside windows server 2012 R2 or the plugin itself. It's difficult to find out, since it got sorted out on its own before. Thanks for your help, anyway.

0 Kudos
PeterFA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I just tried Firefox as suggested, but it's not working. It behaves exactly the same as Safari. Any other ideas? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
CueBall909
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem with identical symptoms. The upload gets shown at the bottom of the main window, but the Progress and Last Updated fields never change. I've tried waiting, canceling and re-starting, uploading multiple files, small/large files, etc. Nothing seems to work.

I'm using a 10.9.5 and have tried Chrome v.39.0.2171.95 (64-bit), Opera v.26.0.1656.60, and Safari 7.1.2. I'm using vSphere v.5.5.0 Build 2175560 and Client Support version 5.5.0 Build 1896823. All three browsers have the same behavior and none work.

0 Kudos
rgerganov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure what is wrong with the Web Client but you can also upload files to a datastore with HTTP PUT. Open https://vcenter_host/folder in your browser and navigate to the location where you want to upload the file.

Let's say that I want to upload a file 'foo.vmdk' on datastore 'datastore1' in the folder 'fira'. And my datacenter is named 'OpenStack'. Then I will have the following URL:

https://rgerganov-vc/folder/fira/foo.vmdk?dcPath=OpenStack&dsName=datastore1

Assuming user 'root' with password 'vmware' run:

$ curl -u root:vmware -k -X PUT -T foo.vmdk https://rgerganov-vc/folder/fira/foo.vmdk\?dcPath\=OpenStack\&dsName\=datastore1

(note that you need to escape some characters like &,?,= in the shell)

Hope this helps.

kmoses
Contributor
Contributor

I've encountered the same problem in my lab and noticed that the Client Integration plugin was crashing during the file transfer.  I attempted the transfer in both Safari and Firefox.  I've attached two of the crash logs for reference.

0 Kudos