VMware Cloud Community
michaeloberg80
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start VMware VirtualCenter Managment Webservices service & VMware VirtualCenter Server after changing logon credentials

Hello,

I recently rook over at IT director at a K12 school.  I have disabled the previous IT directors AD account and found my Veeam backups didn't run.  I was also unable to launch Vsphere.  Upon investigation of this issue I found VMware VirtualCenter Managment Webservices service & VMware VirtualCenter Server service had AD Credentials associated with the startup process, I changed them from the old IT director to my AD creds and now cannot start either service.  See attached screen shots, if anyone has something to try that would be great!

Michael1.JPG2.JPG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As a first step please check all dependent services and permissions (e.g. those for the vCenter Server database, ODBC connection, ...) and consider using a dedicated (new) service account with the required permissions rather than your user account to avoid similar issues in the future.

André

PS: Discussion moved to VMware vCenter™ Server VMware vCenter™ Server

0 Kudos
michaeloberg80
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I get when I try to log into the SQL Server under ODBC Data Source Administrator:

3.JPG

So on my SVR-Database-03 Server with my SQL Server Management Studio my creds don't work on that either and I have no password for SQL authentication, I can't find any documentation on what that would be......Ugg.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on the SQL Server version/edition you may be able to start the SQL Server in Single User Mode and create an additional sysadmin account which can then be used to login and fix/add permissions. Alternatively - depending on e.g. security policies - it may be an option to temporarily re-enable to old account, use it to login to he SQL Server and fix/add permissions this way!?

André

0 Kudos
michaeloberg80
Contributor
Contributor

The only issue with this is that I don't know the previous director's PW, I will research the Single User Mode now.

Michael

0 Kudos
michaeloberg80
Contributor
Contributor

Oh an stupidly reset his AD account PW to attempt to get the services started.  I will I would have just enabled the account and seen your suggestion.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since you already changed the service (if I understood this correctly) resetting the password is what you need to do if you don't know it. Go ahead and change the service accounts which use this account and you should be up and running again.

Anyway, even if this will solve the issue for now, I'd strongly suggest you consider creating a non-personalized service account and change the required settings to use this one instead of a user account.

André

0 Kudos