VMware Cloud Community
mountiedog
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start VMWare VirtualCenter Server service.

I am currently running VirtualCenter 2.0 as a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise VM on a VMware Server box. VirtualCenter is configured to work with Oracle 10g which is running on a separate server (not virtual). Today we lost network connectivity to the Oracle server for about 15 seconds which caused the VMware VirtualCenter Server service to crash.

I was unable to start VMware VirtualCenter Server service even after the Oracle box and was back online and the ODBC test connection was successful. I rebooted the VM running VirtualCenter 2.0 but still was unable to start the service. I kept getting the following entry in the eventlog:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....[/b]

In the end i had to reboot the Oracle box and then everything was fine.

Is there another way to resolve this issue without rebooting the Oracle server????

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you see what warnings/errors were appearing in your vpxd-.log[/b] at the time you were trying to start the service.

This may give you further insight into why this wasn't working.

http://cormachogan.com
virek
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem and took your advice and looked in the log files. To cut a long story short the service fails because it can't find 'Administrator' in the 'Domain Admins' group in Active Directory.

Why? Well the server I am usign is a French server and hence a French Active Directory where the corresponding accounts are 'Administrateur' and 'Admins du Domaine'.

Questions:

1. Do I need to install VC Server on an English server?

or

2. Can I "localise" the VS Server service to look for the correct user/group.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

0 Kudos
joepje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just be aware that the installation use is local administrator on the VC system!

0 Kudos
virek
Contributor
Contributor

No chance to do that as my 'test' server is a Domain Controller, hence NO LOCAL ADMIN account.

Like I say the log explicitly states that it fails as it cannot interrogate the 'Domain Admins' group in the Active Directory...mine is named 'Admins du Domaine'.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From what I can recall from the forums, VC has some localization problems. Most seemed to be solved by changing the locale to English on the server. Not sure if that is causing your issue, though it looks very likely.

0 Kudos
harry
Contributor
Contributor

I encountered the same problem with ORACLE 10G, but with message:Failed to initialize database: ODBC error: ()

After browsing some logs I found out: column CREATED_TIME in Table VPX_ALARM_RUNTIME contains wrong data or wrong date-format or the reading program miss-interprets this column.

If I erase this column VC 2 Server starts successfully and the contents of VPX_ALARM_RUNTIME gets new entries and can be displayed via VC Client. So I guess the startup routines have trouble with this column CREATED_TIME.

So my workaround is to clear table VPX_ALARM_RUNTIME before restarting VC2.

VC2 runs on W2K3 German and ORACLE 10G on AIX with NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1

Any suggestions are welcomed

Harry

0 Kudos
borism
Contributor
Contributor

I found that msde database makes problem with transaction log. Basicly, the DB size is ~250MB, try to increase this value to max: 2048MB

Regards,

Boris Mikhailovski

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

I have also come across the same Windows event log message when starting the VC service:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....[/i]

The problem in my case was the SQL2000 server where I had configured the VC database happened to be only SP3 and everytime i tried to start the VC service i would get the above event logged.

I upgraded the SQL2000 server to SP4 as stated in the VC docs, the service started with no issues.

MP

0 Kudos
ellingtonmd
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same event "The description for Event ID ( 1000 ).........." and I can not logon at the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access along with Web service unavailable. I am running SQL 2005 SP1.

Operating System : MS Server 2003 R2 SP1 5.2.3790

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.2047.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.2047.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)2000.086.1830.00

Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.3790.1830

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42

I know the docs say SQL2000 SP4, but it seems strange that "MayurPatel" noted that the upgrade from SQL 2000 SP3 to SP4 fixed this issued and I am running SQL 2005 SP1 and I am experiencing a problem that existed in SQL 2000 SP3. Maybe I'll try compatibility mode for SQL 2005 to run as SQL 2000. Any other suggestions?[/b] Well, until then I am stuck in the water and my only option is uninstall the current setup and reinstall as SQL 2000 SP4. Bummer...

0 Kudos
markok
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error message even with SQL2000 SP4. I found out that VirtualCenter service couldn't connect to SQL database because I was forced to rename hostname. So I went thru the Windows registry and replaced all old references. I noticed that VirtualCenter AND SQL registries had an old references. Once I renamed all registry entries and booted the Windows server then everything was working and service didn't stopped anymore.

Hope this helps someone with this error...

0 Kudos
doomdevice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

or just change the system dsn entry, so the correct hostname will be used

VI PowerScripter [http://www.powerscripter.net] Every Click can be a customized function within VI client
0 Kudos
JeffCote
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....

Running on an IBM Blade HS20, Win Server 2003 SE SP1, with VC 2.01 Build 32042.

I finally found a log file "twgescli.log" under "C:\Program Files\IBM\Director\Log" which referenced some VirtualCenter libraries. So as a test, I shut down the IBM Director Agent services and attempted to start VC. It came up cleanly, after which I restarted the IBM Diretcor Agent services. Those came up without error as well.

0 Kudos
JeffCote
Contributor
Contributor

In order to fix the above problem, I found a registry hack to make IBM Director Agent's services dependent on VMWare VirtualServer's service. I don't recommend registry hacks to those who aren't comfortable with navigating their way around the registry....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/193888

Regarding this document, you'll find it's a bit dated (I think it was written with Windows 2000 Server in mind) as the regedit interface has changed slightly, but you'll get the gist of it.

After following the instructions and making all of the IBM Director services dependent on VMVC's service, I rebooted the server. It came up quickly and cleanly.

Good luck!

Jeff

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I got the same issue that the VirtualCenter Server Service was starting and ending after a few seconds without any error messages.

I resolved that problem through changing the logon credential of the service. I changed the credentials from "local System" to the local Administrator Accout and everything was working fine again.

Maybe this will solve your problems too.

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys,

I had the same issue, here how to fix it:

Server: Windows 2003 Ent. SP

DB: sql 2000 SP4

Env: VC and License server installed with my account ( member of Domain Admins)

\* After you are done installing it one time:

\* Double click the Virtual center 2.0 CD

\* Click VirtrtualCenter Management Server

\* On the "Program Maintenance" window -- select Repair

\* After that just rerun the whole setup, it may give you warning that it will over write Virtual Center database, make sure you select "Yes"

It will work,

I did it several times, it worked all the time.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I update to 2.0.1.4064, it handles connection with Remote sql db much better.

0 Kudos
JonsInferno
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue, have SQL 2005 SP2 and the Virtual Center Database running in native 2005 server. Tried virtual all the suggestions here, I even uninstalled the Dell OpenManage application as it runs on 443 - no luck. Anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
sasser
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, here is my solution:

The problem is the same TCPIP Port with another webside. Show the vpxd-x.log for this entry -> http proxy failed on port 80:

Show IIS Manager for used Website Ports. Reinstall VC Management Server and use free Ports for VMWARE and now the service starts.

Bye and thanks for all helpers \!!! This forum are great.

0 Kudos
lascer
Contributor
Contributor

sasser: I had a similar issue, after installing virtual center the service won't start. I used your solution, it has worked in my case. Thanks!

0 Kudos