VMware Cloud Community
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to start VC 2.5 after reboot

I've done a fresh full install of VC 2.5 and everything was working fine till I rebooted... now when the server comes back, service manager complains about a crashed service and I cant get to VC.

OS - Win 2003 x64VC R2 Sp2

VC has crashed with the following error " Failed to create https proxy: Resource is already in use: Listen socket: :443"

however when I run 'netstat -anb | findstr 443" I get

TCP 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1964

This box does not have IIS or any other apps installed. I found a post making reference to the VMware Update Manager/service conflicting with VC but I've removed that and I still get the errors..

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Brian

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Could the Windows Firewall Service be running?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FIrewall service has been stopped and disabled. After a reboot I still get the same issue.

Attached is the log showing all the errors.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GNAWT
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue encounter in vcp training lab; service will not start, netstat shows operating system is listening on port 443 and error log mentions "failed to create https proxy...".

Removed and reinstalled virtual center to resolve issue.

0 Kudos
jseymour84
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how I resolved the issue without re-installing...

First my server had rebooted and I found I could not connect using the Infrastructure Client. When I logged on to the server I found that the vpxd process had started but the service did not show as running under the Services MMC on windows (services.msc). I ran the command netstat -anb | findstr 443 and found that my server was listening on port 443 (0.0.0.0:443). I noted the process id at the far right (2388 in my case) and opened task manager.

I set task manager to show the PID for each process and to show processes from all users. I found a vpxd process with the same process ID as what was listening on port 443, killed it and was able to re-start the Virtual Center server.

Just another possible fix...

(Procedure recap)

1. Run netstart -anb from the command prompt of the Virtual Center server

2. Note the process id at the far right for whatever is listening on port 443

3. Open task manager and click on View... Select Columns and then select PID

4. Check the box to "Show processes from all users" and find that process with the same ID number

5. Kill the process

6. Start the Virtual Center service

Hope this helps someone out there...

Jesse

0 Kudos
kittswra
Contributor
Contributor

It was the VMWare Converter process that was gumming up the works for me. I stopped that process and started VC Sever and then restarted the Converter and everything works.

0 Kudos
prithviraj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

what is the command for start and stop the vmware vCenter server in windows server 2003

like " net start ........... i dont know command!"

Thanx

VMguru

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Go under services.msc and stop the

"VMware VirtualCenter Server" Service.

Or try to make a batch file:

net stop VMware VirtualCenter Server

net start VMware VirtualCenter Server