VMware Cloud Community
bryanfoltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to snapshot a machine with Raw Disk Mapping

Is this even possible? I attempted to run a vRanger backup of this virtual machine, only grabbing Drive 1 (C:\) and it failed. When I looked at the snapshot error, it was giving me an unable to snapshot. The "Take Snapshot" option is grayed out when I go into Snapshot off the rt click menu. This virtual machine has four drives, two of which are RDMs. I do not want to back up the RDM drives, but I can't even get the C:\ drive imaged.

I am currently running:

ESX 3.0.2, Update 1 (61618)

VC 2.0.1 Build 32042

The client machine is a Windows Server 2003 Standard

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What are the RDM drives settings? Are they set as "Independant"? Are they set as "Virtual compatibility" mode?

You can see these settings by right clicking the VM and clicking Edit Settings then selecting the drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What are the RDM drives settings? Are they set as "Independant"? Are they set as "Virtual compatibility" mode?

You can see these settings by right clicking the VM and clicking Edit Settings then selecting the drive.

0 Kudos
bryanfoltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

They are running in Physical Compatibility Mode.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need to put your RDM into virtual compatibility mode - this makes it behave like a vmdk disk.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe snapshots are not possible on drives set to physical compatibility mode. Perhaps this is why you cannot take snapshots.

Try setting the RDM drives to Independent/Persistant and check if you are able to take a snapshot.

If this does not work then try adding the RDM's in virtual compatibility mode.

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

maybe the service console provide a more detailed explaination why your snapshot failed.

When using the following command, what error will you receive.

usr/bin/vmware-cmd <cfg> createsnapshot <name> <description> quiesce memory

Quiesce does stop VM IO prior the snapshot, memory does add the memory content to the snapshot.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos