VMware Cloud Community
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to remove snapshots

Hi,

We had a power outage over the New Year which corrupted one of my hosts, this host ran my 2 exchange 2010 mailbox servers so in an effort to get my users back into their emails I created 2 new VM's on the good host and pointed the VM's to the existing disks (on my shared storage) and successfully brought up the VM's. After I managed to get the faulty host back online I decided last night to roll back to the original setup to keep things tidy however when I attempted to bring up the first mailbox server VM on the original host it error'd. From looking at the error what I think has happened is........When we had the power outage the mailbox VM was been backed up which created a snapshot, because I created a new VM but pointed to the original disks and allowed changes throughout the day and then tried to revert back the snapshot manager knew the original disks had changed since the last time it tried to run and therefore error'd when booting.

Through snapshot manager I can't delete the snaps as they don't show. I have kept this VM powered off and create a new snapshot to give me the option to delete all however when I click delete all it doesn't remove the new or old snaps? I would like to know a safe way of removing these snaps without causing any issues to the live vmdk files?

I have attached my datastore with the snapshots......

Thanks in advance

Euan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you could try and cold clone it to another datastore.  This willl consolidate all the snapshots.

0 Kudos
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor

I did read that cloning would be an option but I don't have the space to clone this to another datastore so it's out for me :smileycry:.........thanks anyway

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you could use the below article, but I would highly recommend making a backup of the VM in question, just in case

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002310

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me this sounds very confusing.

From what I understand there should be another VM with some snapshot files in the folder of the new VM you created. It's important to fully understand the steps you took in a timely order.

André

0 Kudos