VMware Cloud Community
andersom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to register/unregister vCenter Server extensions.

Tried the fix for KB article 1025351, still having the issue. I am trying to install the vmware converter again because i installed this plugin on another computer in the vsphere client (Computer other than the vcenter server, where i originally installed the plugin) and it was running to slow when trying to do a conversion compared to running directly on the vcenter server. So i went back to the vCenter Server and for some reason it keeps trying to use the other computers resources, so i unistalled the vmware converter from both machines, and when i try install the vmware converter on the vcenter server i get the following error message, Unable to register/unregister vCenter Server extensions. Called Dell (our vmware support), they are stumped and want me to blow away my vcenter server and vcenter database and start over. Anybody have any ideas, I really do not want to start over from scratch.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Here is the blog article that I wrote few months ago the explains the process with screenshots - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/07/how-to-unregister-vcenter.html

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andersom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the fix that I found that work for us.

How to unregister vCenter plugin/extension using the MOB

I saw a post on the VMTN forums the other day about unregistering a vCenter plugin. The user had a bad installation of an early preview of NetApp's VSC utility. After uninstalling the plugin, the user was still unable to unlink the plugin from vCenter. There is actually a pretty simple solution to this problem which can be accomplished by using the vSphere MOB.

Here are the instructions to remove a specific plugin/extension from your vCenter server:

1. Point your web browser to your vCenter server: https://your_vc_server/mob and login.

2. Click on content:

3. Locate and click on ExtensionManager:

4. Click on the plugin you are interested in removing:

5. Record the plugin key id which will be used to remove the plugin:

6. Now, go back to previous page and at the bottom click on the function "UnregisterExtension". A new window will open and ask for the plugin key id which was recorded from above. Enter the key and click on the "Invoke Method" to remove the plugin

You can now refresh the page and you will see that the plugin is no longer available. You can restart your vSphere Client to see that the plugin has now been removed.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Here is the blog article that I wrote few months ago the explains the process with screenshots - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/07/how-to-unregister-vcenter.html

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
andersom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that is where i got the directions i should have put that in my post.

0 Kudos