VMware Cloud Community
Rapiscan
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to power on a 64bit virtual machine

I am getting this error message, when trying to power on a 64-bit VM.

The CPU of the host is incompatible with the CPU feature requirements of virtual machine; problem detected at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'

requirements of virtual machine; problem detected at CPUID level 0x80000001 register 'edx'.

But if I create a 32-bit VM, it will power on without any problem.

Tools used: (see the result at the attached pictures)

VT.ISO

CPUID.ISO

Both of utilities have good results, no bad or failure.

Any reason Why I cannot power on a 64-bit VM?

Hardware configuration:

Dell Laptop XPS L701X

Processor:Q740

Memory: 12GB

Hard disk: 2x 500GB

What should i do?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What VMware product are you using? Workstation or VMware Sevrer?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Rapiscan
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the evaluation copy of Workstation 7, vCenter server 4.1 and ESXi 4.1 .

Workstation 7

vCenter Server 4.1

ESXi 4.1

OS 64-bit

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi on Workstation 7 does not supported nested 64 bit, even if your CPU is ready for it. 32Bit is the only virtual machine you can run without any problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You need to boot VT.ISO inside your ESX virtual machine if you want to check the capabilities of the virtual CPU.

0 Kudos
Rapiscan
Contributor
Contributor

I created a generic VM linux-32bit, attached the VT.ISO file, and booted from it.

The screen said:

CPU 0: This core does not support VT

So the virtual does not know how to carry over the 64-bit from the laptop hardware.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, VT - which is necessary to run 64 bit VMs - is not passed through to the virtual machines.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Rapiscan wrote:

So the virtual does not know how to carry over the 64-bit from the laptop hardware.

The virtual CPU has 64-bit support.  It doesn't have VT support (and therefore can't run 64-bit guests).  Virtualizing VT is challenging.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, as per earlier you can do a 64 bit virtual machine over a nested ESX hosts on vmware workstation. as simple as that.

0 Kudos