VMware Cloud Community
Russell_Young
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open remote console through firewall

I have a firewall between my laptop and the vmware ESX farm. I had the network team open up ports 80, 443, and 902 so I could use the Virtual Infrastructure client.

I am able to connect to either the VC server or each ESX server just fine with the VIC, but I am unable to open any virtual machine consoles. I get the following error message.

"Error Connecting: Cannot connect to host : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

If I do this exact same thing from a laptop on the same subnet (bypassing the firewall) I can login and open consoles just fine. Do I need to have additional ports opened up?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM console access is now port 903.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM console access is now port 903.

0 Kudos
Russell_Young
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! That did the trick.

0 Kudos
Esys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have just installed VIC 2.0.2 on a new VCMS server. On the server, everything works as expected. However, from a workstation running VIC, I also cannot open a console.

ESX 3.0.1 fully patched (two servers)

VCMS, 2.0.2, running on Windows 2k3 R2, fully patched

Workstation, Vista Ult, 64bit, VIC 2.0.2

It appears all other management of the VMs is functional, only the console is not avail. I get the same error message mentioned.

I've read several threads about this issue, and have checked every suggestion (ports - 443, 902, 903, 80) Time zone from XP, firewalls on both ends, ad naseum.

Any other experiences that might help me?

thanks

Bill

0 Kudos